BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, loving the new beast, but I noticed a problem with my sunroof. When driving at highway speeds, I can hear air leaking through. It sounds similar to the noise made when the sunroof is slightly raised like a vent (the back of the sunroof lifts up). To avoid the noise, I have been simply closing the shade/headliner and can no longer hear the wind, but this just hides the sound. Of course, when I open the sun shade back up, I can hear air leaking through.

When I get out of the car, the sunroof is completely closed. I have opened and closed it repeatedly, trying to locate my issue.

When I crack the sunroof in "vent" mode (just when the back lifts up), it goes up normally. When I go to close it, it lowers all the way, then slightly raises itself. My best guess is that it raises too much. Normally I would assume that it shouldn't raise at all, but I know that many cars do the same thing, for some odd reason. So it seems normal for the sunroof to close all the way, then lift up a little.

Can this amount of lift be adjusted?

Am I just crazy or has anybody else had a similar issue?

P.S. All my seals and moldings seem to be in good shape

·
Registered
95 Posts
Mine does the exact same thing. We may just be hearing the turbulence created by the interrupted air travel over the roof of the vehicle. It's also cold as winter is in Minnesota, so the added benefit of closing the headliner cover is a little thermal sealing. Personally, I dislike having it closed - but what can you do?

·
Registered
195 Posts
it is normal...

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Mine's pretty loud as well. I've heard a lot of people with the same problem. There was a post here by someone who actually got it fixed I think. I was going to have my dealer take a look at it at some point.

·
Registered
17 Posts
sun roof noise

I had the same noise and took it to my dealership. They replaced the weather striping around the sunroof and sound went away completly.
It was under warranty so I would get you local dealer to look at it

·
Registered
83 Posts
yeah i hear the same thing, glad im not the only one. i like riding with the headliner opened sometimes, but closing it makes it so its super quiet..as long as it doesn't leak(which mine doesn't) i dont mind too much

·
Registered
534 Posts
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=bottom><TD></TD><TD width="100%">The Unofficial BMW M5 Messageboard (m5board.com) > BMW M5, M5 Touring, M6 and Z8 Forums > E60 M5 and E61 M5 Touring Discussion </TD></TR><TR><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; PADDING-TOP: 1px" class=navbar colSpan=3> Wind noise from closed sunroof?</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
I had the same trouble. After three attempts, the dealer finally got it adjusted properly and the result has been blissful silence ever since. It is repairable, so don't give up and live with it like I did for so long. Read about it in the following post:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...e-closed-sunroof.html?highlight=sunroof+noise

·
Registered
261 Posts
I too have the same on going issue with the sunroof noise. Just dropped the car off at the dealership and asked my SA to look into this and also the issue with the peeling steering wheel cover. My SA said that she will contact BMW NA to see if they would do a good will repair. I also called BMW NA and spoke with a manager in Customer Relations. The customer relations manager told me to have my SA contact her directly once the inspections are completed. I hope BMW NA will step up to the plate and resolve this issues. I bought my car in for other unrelated issues. However, my SA said that there is a recall that needs to be address as well. She could not tell me what it's because it was only showing her codes. She said she will contact me her. I will keep everyone updated on this matters.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have the same issues and have been forced to close the interior part of the sunroof when I am making a phone call on a highway. Now that I see it is repairable, I will be mentioning it on my next trip in.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Just had this issue taken care of by my soon to be expired warranty. They replaced the seal around the glass. The old seal was not leaking water but was noisy. Now with the new seal the moonroof is quiet and I don't have to ride with sunshade closed to talk on the phone.

·
Registered
19 Posts
How loud was the wind noise guys? I've experienced the same thing as everyone else and just close the sunshade and never really put much more thought into it. If the dealer will replace the weatherstripping it's something I'd considering getting done under warranty. I wouldn't say it was loud, just noticeable.

·
Registered
267 Posts
It wasn't super loud just sounded like a slightly cracked open back window. More annoying than anything else. Now it is quiet like it should be. New weatherstripping made all the difference for me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts