BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the E39 have these sliders/clips on each side like the E46?

My shade makes a light rattling sound when it's fully open. If I pull it an inch forward from full open it seems to stop. Wondering if I just need to replace clips/sliders on the shade. I had to do that on my M3 and it was pretty straightforward. Not sure if the E39 is the same or similar. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The shade sits atop it's own sliding rail on the inner track, secured by 2 screws on the top to each side to the front, with the rear of the shade snapping into the 2 rear brackets on the outer track to each side.

The shade most likely came undone from at the rear where it just snaps into the bracket. The side of shade just needs to be inserted into its clip on the bracket side. It's possible from underneath, easier from up top with a visual guide.

The other possible culprit for a rattle would be the wind deflector which is connected to the lifting arms and the rear bracket, since it also just snaps in place and isnt secured with anything. The sides snap onto the arm to each side.

The front brackets are the same for the E46 and E39, but the rest of the sunroof mechanism to each is different. The bracket needs replacement only if there is issue with lift or opening/closing the sunroof. Likely not the cause of rattling.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The shade sits atop it's own sliding rail on the inner track, secured by 2 screws on the top to each side to the front, with the rear of the shade snapping into the rear bracket on the outer track.

The shade most likely came undone from at the rear where it just snaps into the bracket. The side of shade just needs to be inserted into its clip on the bracket side. It's possible from underneath, easier from up top with a visual guide.

The other possible culprit for a rattle would be the wind deflector which is connected to the lifting arms and the rear bracket, since it also just snaps in place and isnt secured with anything. The sides snap onto the arm to each side.

The front brackets are the same for the E46 and E39, but the rest of the sunroof mechanism to each is different. The bracket needs replacement only if there is issue with lift or opening/closing the sunroof. Likely not the cause of rattling.
When you say rear bracket, do you mean there is one on each side of the shade at the rear? Or one central bracket? Are these metal or plastic and is it possible that one of them broke? Not entirely sure which part it would be here.

RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog

Wind deflector seems to be fine. No issues with the operation of the sunroof either. Full open, close, vent... all good. The noise comes from the rear of the sunroof shade when fully open. I don't mind taking the glass out and working on it from above if that would be easier. I just don't want to have to pull the headliner.

The other fun thing I just noticed this weekend is that the alcantara on the shade is starting to separate a little in one area. Guess I need to re-glue that while I'm at it...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Referring to the set of rear rail brackets shown in the attached pic. They are black plastic. Each side to the rear of the shade slides into the clip at the side of the bracket circled in red.

Forward is facing to the top in photo.

Probably a good time to remove shade and reattach anthracite using contact cement, or like. It's easier to see where shade attaches from up top sans glass. Refresh time.

It's possible that the clip/tab on the bracket itself may have broken off and needs replacement. See attached with an example of broken tab.

BMW doesn't sell them separately, I think. I think they do offer a sunroof repair kit for E39 that may include it. The bracket is sold elsewhere, non-OE, like Amazon:

Danci Parts Compatible Replacement Part for Sunroof Control Rail Repair Kit for BMW E39 5 Series - E53 X5 Series Left and Right, $9.99

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I understand now. So the shade can be removed out the top when the glass is out?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes. Shade is secured with 2 screws at the top in front to each side to the inner rail and clipped to the rear outer bracket at the rear, which allows it to "follow" the sunroof. Once unsecured, it can be taken out. If you forget where components should be, take a photo before working on it, to help keep track.

Might want to replace all those plastic rail bits, in the repair kit, if the bracket is broken, as they are probably old too, may eventually give out, break, which they do.

Oh, if the bracket is broken, make sure to get the right one which come as 1 piece, bracket and metal joint, like this:

Don't get the ones that come as separate components, as there is no way to assemble bracket as no rod comes included to secure the metal joint to bracket, like this:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts