BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently started opening the cover for the sunroof while driving and I noticed that it sounds like there is an air leak or the seals are bad. Does anyone have that same problem? Thanks

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yes. I bought my 2006 used and it had bad (39K miles on it at the time) sunroof seals. Also bad windshield and rear window seals (cracked and discolored). My M5 was still under factory warranty so the dealer replaced all of them. Also the seal around my trunk was bad. They found that while taking care of the rear window and replaced it under warranty as well. My guess is the PO left the car outside alot.

My E39's sunroof seal went bad as well. Maybe it's the rubber BMW uses or something?

·
Registered
46 Posts
My MY2007 sounds just like you describe. I assume the seals are fine since they do not leak in the rain or at the car wash.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Me too with the sunroof noise and also leaking water from front windshield passanger side betwin dash and glass, just sucks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ditto. My 06 makes a light wind noise from the sunroof at speeds over 50 mph. Dealer told me it would be $150 to diagnose (not repair) so I just close the shade when not in use and I can't really hear it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
same here

·
Registered
737 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think BMW N.A shut fix that for free is my first high end car. and the one with the most problems from factory. I still love the car doo.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Had that noise problem as well. Dealer replaced the seal and also aligned the sunroof differently. The panel now sits lower in the front, below the roof line ~1mm and higher in the rear ~1mm above the roofline and the car is now near silent! Even with the shade pulled back, the wind noise doesn't increase that much. Before it was like driving with the sunroof open.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts