BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My glass tilt and slide sunroof opens and almost closes but hits the the metal deflector at the front and it appears to be a bit worn. I have noticed on ECSTUNING.COM that they sell a set of parts for left and right sides of the roof and was wondering if anyone has solved this problem by swapping these parts out?

BMW E39 M5 S62 5.0L Search SiteSearch Sunroof - ECS Tuning

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
join the club mine just did this i ordered the parts from bmw will post pics or dyi when i get to it

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Mine does this. As it comes forward, the roof should "push down" the wind deflector by riding up a rail on each side. Most of the time on mine the deflector doesn't pop down and I have to do it manually as the glass closes. I'm not sure what is worn, but I rember seeing a post somewhere that showed gluing a section of tie-wrap on top of that rail on each side as a fix. I've not tried that yet though. I really need to reseal the whole thing because the wind noise when closed is annoying, and I run with the cover closed most of the time.

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5 E39 Dinan
2,230 Posts

·
Registered
2,513 Posts

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Maybe someone with experience on this before can pitch in here-

What parts of the displayed at ECS tuning
BMW E39 M5 S62 5.0L Search SiteSearch Sunroof - 54128202295 - Sunroof Guide Rail - Left - ES#157405
are the parts that usually fail?

My roof the tilt function failed first, then the whole thing jammed...now its stuck shut and rattling.. wonder what piece caused TILT to fail?
Most likely, this piece:

I've had to fix this twice on my sunroof, and I get to do it again since one of them broke again yesterday...

·
Registered
85 Posts
On mine, it was the piece on the right of the ECS picture - the slightly "L" shaped piece with pins on one side, tabs on the other with a plastic end on one side. This levers up the glass for "tilt" mode and also pulls the glass down tight when the roof is closed. The plastic end broke, so it wasn't levering up the arm piece at the top of the picture. I'll attach a very helpful pdf from bimmerzone member ExAlfa that describes the issue and how to fix. In my case I was able to do this without removing the cassette for one side, but then screwed up the other side and had to drop the whole deal. It wasn't bad, but you have to remove the headliner and pillar covers, which is a bit of a pain due to the bulk.

Ed

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
On mine, it was the piece on the right of the ECS picture - the slightly "L" shaped piece with pins on one side, tabs on the other with a plastic end on one side. This levers up the glass for "tilt" mode and also pulls the glass down tight when the roof is closed. The plastic end broke, so it wasn't levering up the arm piece at the top of the picture. I'll attach a very helpful pdf from bimmerzone member ExAlfa that describes the issue and how to fix. In my case I was able to do this without removing the cassette for one side, but then screwed up the other side and had to drop the whole deal. It wasn't bad, but you have to remove the headliner and pillar covers, which is a bit of a pain due to the bulk.

Ed
You Guys with experience dropping the headliner - has anyone done a DIY for this? I have to do this, and I'm a bit nervous - but I also don't want to spend the $1700 for the dealer fix... I already have the parts. I installed the left rail, but the right slider is broken too, so I think I do indeed have to drop the whole thing.

Many thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
You Guys with experience dropping the headliner - has anyone done a DIY for this? I have to do this, and I'm a bit nervous - but I also don't want to spend the $1700 for the dealer fix... I already have the parts. I installed the left rail, but the right slider is broken too, so I think I do indeed have to drop the whole thing.

Many thanks in advance for your help!
It's not difficult, but it is very tedious. I did it over the course of a weekend last summer, but I was taking my time and had other obligations to deal with as well. It's doable in a day if you crank through it. Having another set of hands to help get the headliner and cassette out of the car would be a plus (I did the job solo)

·
Registered
111 Posts
It's not difficult, but it is very tedious. I did it over the course of a weekend last summer, but I was taking my time and had other obligations to deal with as well. It's doable in a day if you crank through it. Having another set of hands to help get the headliner and cassette out of the car would be a plus (I did the job solo)
Thanks for the encouragement - I wish you were in So Cal so I could enlist your help! Unfortunately, my only helper is my dog, but he doesn't have opposable thumbs, so I think i'm S out of Luck when it comes to help. hopefully I can find time next week. I want to do this and a brake bleed before I head to ButtonWillow in June.

If you have any tips (or know of instructions/DIY) found anywhere on the internets. I still can't find much. There was a picture of an e39 540 that was wrecked and there were some good pics with it turned on it's side.

I don't know - Maybe I'll have to just do my own DIY.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
+1, I have done this job more times then I would have liked and it really doesn't take all that long. Even pulling the cassette isn't that hard - it is designed to hang by some tabs so that all of the bolts can be removed without it falling. The hardest part is figuring out wow to get the headliner out of the car without folding it in half - believe me, you will want to :nono:

BTW, what's with all of the M5 owners wanting to save money? It is quite unseemly :rofl:

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT OWN AN M5 AND THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ARROGANT. PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT REVISED DISCLAIMER THAT APPLIES TO THIS POST

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement - I wish you were in So Cal so I could enlist your help! Unfortunately, my only helper is my dog, but he doesn't have opposable thumbs, so I think i'm S out of Luck when it comes to help. hopefully I can find time next week. I want to do this and a brake bleed before I head to ButtonWillow in June.

If you have any tips (or know of instructions/DIY) found anywhere on the internets. I still can't find much. There was a picture of an e39 540 that was wrecked and there were some good pics with it turned on it's side.

I don't know - Maybe I'll have to just do my own DIY.
MFest Forums - View Single Post - E39 Headliner and Pillars Removal DIY?

No pics, but those are the steps

·
Registered
6,014 Posts

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
drop the sunroof cassette for what i have done this repair and never had to drop the cassette take the glass out yes and do what you have to do

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
drop the sunroof cassette for what i have done this repair and never had to drop the cassette take the glass out yes and do what you have to do
It depends on what's broken. If it's just the plastic bit in front (typical) then no, the cassette doesn't have to come out. If it's the stuff behind the lift arm (the plastic piece back there) then the cassette has to come out, because there isn't enough room in front to remove the rail in situ.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/120223-sunroof-r-r.html#post2388220

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
BTW, what's with all of the M5 owners wanting to save money? It is quite unseemly :rofl:

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT OWN AN M5 AND THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ARROGANT. PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT REVISED DISCLAIMER THAT APPLIES TO THIS POST
lol, it really is. My excuse is saving shekels for the extra gas I'm going to burn to keep up with Barry and Steve on the drive to TimmayFest :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
It depends on what's broken. If it's just the plastic bit in front (typical) then no, the cassette doesn't have to come out. If it's the stuff behind the lift arm (the plastic piece back there) then the cassette has to come out, because there isn't enough room in front to remove the rail in situ.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/120223-sunroof-r-r.html#post2388220
Yep ^^^ Exactly this. I already took out the glass and tried replacing both arms. unfortunately the sliding piece is actually broken for me, so I'll have to drop the headliner to get it out and replace it with the new piece.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts