BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've got a strange issue and my lack of systems knowledge of the sunroof is getting the best of me.

It seems like, the sunroof will operate at the full range of motion. It opens, it closes. However, it will not:

A) Do so automatically. To open, it will slide back. To close, it gets most of the way forward and then stops, because it is bumping the foreward air deflector by a fraction of an inch and auto-stopping. If I auto-close it, and hold down the air guide with my finger (not loving that part.. kinda risky..), it will close, but not move up to make a seal with the roof.

B) The sunroof does not pitch forward, like as to make a vent in the rear. You know, the position where it is closed over the top, but pitched forward so the rear of it is a vent. Hard to describe.. sorry :(

Any ideas? Is there some reset I can do? Some kind of computer controlled unit that may have gone bad? Mechanically it works, so it's not like the tracks are broken or something. Just the controller (if one exists) or the system logic won't let it behave as it's supposed to.

Please help :( This car is sooo close to being 100% perfect. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds as if it needs resetting. Make sure everything is nice and smooth and that your battery is good.

I wrote the procedure HERE.

I hope this helps and let us know how you get on.

Very helpful. Also found this reset procedure:

Lets start with a basic BMW power sunroof reset. This will help when the battery has been disconnected.
If you have changed your battery sometimes the sunroof will only let you use the tilt function. 1. Tilt your BMW sunroof up. 2. Hold the tilt button in for at least 10 seconds. This should reset your sunroof and give you full functions again.
Some BMW power sunroofs have a recovery and reset mode. PRESS IN and HOLD the sunroof closure rectangular slide button for as much as 3 minutes. During this time the roof will open, close, slide etc. to re-calibrate the positions.

I'll try this out whenever I get home from these nonstop trips I've been on with work.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, to clarify, I can make it close completely and seal with my roof if I "bump" the up button enough times to bring it level with the roofline. So, the arms or whatever that brings it up do function, just not automatically.

I'm really hoping that it's just a case of bad calibration, due to several "short stops", as in the glass stopping 5-6 inches from closing, and the glass bumping against the deflector.

Maybe there is some adjustment to make the forward guide arms lower the deflector sooner, to make room for the glass to close properly?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
There's very little scope for adjustment, it's all preset. The only adjustment is the up and down position of the roof panel (via vertical slot holes) and maybe a tiny amount of fore and aft (tolerance between hole size and screw diameter), but this is minimal.

I reckon it just needs resetting. Mine behaved similarly and the reset sorted it out. I think it's the safety feature cicking in; when it detects an increase in current demand it backs up, thinking there's an obstruction there (like somenes arm etc).

Windows have the same kind of feature but implemented differently, they have a pressure sensor built into the window frame (the rubber strip thing) which 'tells' the system there's an obstruction; give it a squish whilst the window is closing and the window should stop and back down.

Give the reset a try when you get back. Hth.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ger & E55,

Well I'll be damned, that is all it was. The resed procedure worked 100% and on the first try. Well done gents!

Wonder what made it go awry in the first place, but it retracts and extends without much notable strain. Seems to be in good working order. Awesome!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only thing left I have to do is find a way for the arms to lower the wind deflecter a hair more so it won't bump against it when it closes. Anyone else have this kind of problem before? It needs like a hundreth of an inch of adjustment. I suppose I could put a stopper in the deflector to make it not go up as high, like a few well placed zip-ties should do the trick, but does anyone know a non-******* engineering approach?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
So your roof panel touches the actual deflector when closing?

It sound as though the roof panel itself has dropped down a bit. Check to see how it is compared to the roof itself, should be within 1mm under the roof level and not be proud of the roof (iirc).
Adjustment is relatively simple:
Raise the roof panel by about 1cm; at this sort of height the inner cover should be free to slide backwards, out of the way. (I might be wrong and the roof panel needs to be lowered by 1cm, try it both ways, I'm depending on my memory here!).

Once the inner panel is back, park the roof panel in its home position. You should now be able to access the adjustment screws and set the panels height. If you have a glass panel, you need to pull down on the folded rubber gaiters first, take great care, they tend to split quite easily.

They have a torx head, which could be Tx25, Tx27 or Tx30 (again, working from memory, did this myself months ago). Try the rear screws which are quite easy to reach to find the correct size. Access to the forward screws is quite difficult but do-able, if you have a metal panel you'll have to push in behind the trim piece.
Slacken the screws and adjust the panel, then tighten them. A second pair of hands is welcome at this stage!

Try the roof again, bringing it back to it's parked position to double check the positioning. If all is ok, re-assemble and remember to raise the roof to slide the inner cover back into it's position.

Procedure is covered by DIS. Read up on both metal and glass procedures, helps you understand more.

You might need to recalibrate the roof again after finishing, but that's easy!

Enjoy!!

Hth.

·
Registered
24 Posts
gers method did not work for me, as i have this problem on my m5 and 528i

i hold the button up, when it makes a sound i let go for 2 seconds and press and hold it again, it goes all the way back and than back forward and does the same thing, it sort of gets stuck at the end of closing, causing it to back up few inches again... both cars have the same issue. and come out with the same results, any toughts on what else to do???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts