BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For parking outdoors, what type of sunshades do you use? There are the folding BMW types with reflective foil and there are pop-open fabric types.

What do you like/dislike about what you are using?

Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
315 Posts
Theres nothing to dislike. I used it for years on all cars. First, its less hot in the car, especially with black. Second, it blocks UV and man does that do a difference to your dash and seats. They look like new even years down the road. I have a foil one, they are the best. They realy do make a huge difference. If you live in a sunny and hot area, probably even more. If you have the leather dash like I do you want to be protecting your dash even more.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have one from Bavarian Autosport (www.bavauto.com) part#UV 10647, $49.95. It's custom made for the E39, fits windshield perfectlty. Its an accordian type with a rigid foam core, silver relective outside and dk. gray felt inside liner. It is made by Covercraft and is high quality, even comes with a vinyl storage bag. Makes a big difference in my carbon black/black.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I have this one that is custom cut to fit my windshield perfectly.

Go here to View...

·
Registered
837 Posts
I also use a foil type one from pep boys 19.99 I think, it is oversized for an SUV and works well, the people at pep boys let me take them to the car and try them before I bought one, Josh

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.

So far most of you use the foil type and don't dislike anything about them. I would think the foil type would take up a lot of space or be hard to easily store when folded up.

Reading information on those "pop-open" fabric ones, it would appear that they are as effective blocking heat and UV rays - but lighter and easier to fold up and stash away under a seat. The ones my wife uses in her Accord don't fit the M5 windshield well, they leave a big gap under the rearview mirror...

Paul

·
Registered
315 Posts
pkarmouche said:
Thanks for the replies.

So far most of you use the foil type and don't dislike anything about them. I would think the foil type would take up a lot of space or be hard to easily store when folded up.

Reading information on those "pop-open" fabric ones, it would appear that they are as effective blocking heat and UV rays - but lighter and easier to fold up and stash away under a seat. The ones my wife uses in her Accord don't fit the M5 windshield well, they leave a big gap under the rearview mirror...

Paul
Personnaly storage is the least of my worries, I just stash it behind the drivers seat. Never take passangers in the back. I look only for protection. The foil is much better than the fabric for one simple reason, heat. The foil will repel most of it and does make a huge effect. Also getting you back windos tinted with heat repelling tint makes a whole lot of different.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
My god, it's a sun shield. Run to your local automotive store, and grab whatever looks like it's effective. The foiled probably is a little better. Expect to pay 20 bucks. End of story.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
M5Kid said:
My god, it's a sun shield. Run to your local automotive store, and grab whatever looks like it's effective. The foiled probably is a little better. Expect to pay 20 bucks. End of story.
I have to agree with kid at some level...any protection is good. I personally use the cheapie ones from Kragen ($8). They fold up nice and fit in the pocket behind the seat. That said, I don't use them that often...

·
Registered
54 Posts
I got a foil one from Pep Boys for 7 bucks... and it even came with a free t-shirt. Whoo hoo! :D

It works great, and folds and unfolds easy. I stash it in the passenger footwell, or thow it in the back. It has rubber bands attached to keep it folded.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
M5Kid said:
I guess you're right. I was thinking I'd find gobs of scientific details about foil vs. fabric and brands (like are so often discussed of waxes, leather cleaners, etc.). However it is obvious that anything is better than nothing, and this isn't a big concern here.

With the "complete leather" package I want to be sure that I prevent the leather on the dashboard from drying out or cracking in the most effective way.

Paul

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Paul,
In my older thread about storing the M5 outside, somebody mentioned that the sunshade could reflect the heat back to the windshield, possible weakening the adhesive bond holding it to the frame...not sure how important or relevant that is for short term use, but the point was raised...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
M-Fünf said:
Paul,In my older thread about storing the M5 outside, somebody mentioned that the sunshade could reflect the heat back to the windshield, possible weakening the adhesive bond holding it to the frame...not sure how important or relevant that is for short term use, but the point was raised...
Thanks Jeff, good point. I am also aware that for aircraft, it is important that the (typically foil reflective) sunshades be pressed firmly against the windshield, otherwise heat builds up in between damaging the wet compass that is typically mounted high on the windshield.

This might suggest the fabric shades are better - not to mention they fold up much smaller...

By the way, how are you managing / handling your outdoor storage issue?

Paul

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Paul,

Do you think too much heat reflected from these can cause damage to a V1? I normally leave it up when I'm parked at work or somewhere else. I don't take it down unless I'm somewhere I don't know or don't trust.

Haven't started the project yet, so the beast still has garage privileges. There is one other project that will require a large drop-box in the driveway, and I can't start the other project until that one is done, as I don't want to be parking the M5 on the street...I've got plenty to keep me busy until then... :rolleyes:

:cheers:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
M-Fünf said:
Paul,

Do you think too much heat reflected from these can cause damage to a V1? I normally leave it up when I'm parked at work or somewhere else. I don't take it down unless I'm somewhere I don't know or don't trust.

Haven't started the project yet, so the beast still has garage privileges. There is one other project that will require a large drop-box in the driveway, and I can't start the other project until that one is done, as I don't want to be parking the M5 on the street...I've got plenty to keep me busy until then... :rolleyes:

:cheers:
Since the V1 is mounted so high on the windsheild I would tuck the sunshade under/behind the unit (another score for the pop-open fabric type). I used this procedure in my previous car with a Solo radar detector.

Either way the V1 gets RED HOT when parked, too hot to touch - which has got to be hard on it over time. More than a few hours and it is probably better off in the glove box IMHO.

Paul

·
Super Moderator
10,462 Posts
i have the "factory bmw" unit like ocean pictured above. I let it dangle down a bitt on the pass side so it's not right up against the V1 (which i mount on the pass side, next to the mirror). I've used this same sunshade, and V1 for probably 5 years so i don't think the V1 is getting cooked. The shade folds flat enough to stick between the pass seat and the console, so there's no issue for storage. i just stash it on a shelf in the garage when winter time comes.
Mike

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
M5Kid said:
HEY!

On this board we argue over HP differences that are in the noise of dyno measurements- why not split hairs on sun shades?

I use a pop open nylon, with a shiny silverized surface- not as reflective as foil, and the fit sucks. But I had it laying around. Bought a foil fold up, but the fit was poor. Too lazy to look for another.

Given that there are many other windows to protect other than the front, I don't think it matters that much. Although I do raise the rear and rear side sun shades....

A

·
Registered
53 Posts
The $50 "UV Windshield Sunscreen" from Bavarian Motorsport is the one I have and it's an excellent product.

http://www.bavauto.com/

Come on guys...you drive a gorgeous, high-performance M5 and you're using those cheap, ugly foil shades. What a crime!

:D
Get the best for your M5...cheers!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
knox said:
The $50 "UV Windshield Sunscreen" from Bavarian Motorsport is the one I have and it's an excellent product.

http://www.bavauto.com/

Come on guys...you drive a gorgeous, high-performance M5 and you're using those cheap, ugly foil shades. What a crime!

:D
Get the best for your M5...cheers!
That might be the ticket, Knox, thanks.

I bought the "Axiom" pop-open type yesterday (the same brand we use in our Honda Accord and are pleased with). The problem is, unlike the Honda, our rear view mirror is attached to the windshield - not the headliner - and to make things worse there is that HUGE obnoxious rain sensor. They don't fit properly.

I'm just a little worried about storing this shade from Bavarian Auto, but as others have posted it probably will slip between the seat and center console.

Thanks again,

Paul

1 - 20 of 22 Posts