BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I spent most of the day today tidying-up my ICE installation - a JVC AVX-2 head unit - which I fitted last autumn.

I also took the opportunity to fit a semi-permanent hardwire installation of my new RaceLogic PerformanceBox - a GPS-based laptimer / speed / datalogger.

The unit is designed to fit to the windscreen (similar fashion to a Sat-Nav unit), and plug into the cigar lighter.

However, I don't like 1). having items stuck to the screen - it looks untidy and obscures my view, and 2). I HATE having wires all over the dash coming out of the cigar lighter for power - a pet-hate of mine.

After popping down to the local Maplin store to get some components, I made-up a custom cable to power the PerformanceBox, and ran the cable thru the top centre-vent.

The unit thus powers directly from the car - and is fixed to the dashboard with velcro mountings.

I don't like drilling the dash - this fitment is easily revisble and has done no damage to the original e34 loom.

I've tested the unit a little earlier in the week - when fitted to the windscreen as a temporary measure - it's a good piece of kit - and when used with an SD Card, can be used to log data and plot laptimes and speed runs.

I bought it primarily for the laptiming function, altough it has four different modes in all.

In Laptiming Mode - you simply drive - hit the button to mark the location of the start/finish line - hit the button again to individually-mark up to six different 'spilt' time locations, and hit it one final time if the finish time is in a different place to the start line (Bridge to Gantry ? :3:).

After that - simply drive - it detects all of the locations thereafter and automatically datalogs your performance and laptimes - no further user intervention required whilst you drive - leaving you to concentrate on your driving - which is precisely the functionality I was looking-for.

On first evidence, the support for this little device seems pretty good - you can download start/finish map data for most of the european circuits from the Racelogic support pages - and they run their own webforum for users, which appears to be powered by the same engine as this one - same look and feel.

And I know, I know, you don't need to tell me - I know most circuits don't allow timing devices...........yawnnnn.

Over and out.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I have one of these too, excellent piece of equipment.

Nice install.

Sal

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
looks good terry:cheers:

Shame my calender doesnt let me do track days at the moment or would have an excuse for buying another gadget, jesus any excuse for me:1zhelp::1zhelp:

you will have to post after the 1st proper use:M5launch:

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
i hope that is strong velcro Tel... having experienced a few of your BRUTAL passenger laps, some even moving my internal organs, the last thing you or a passenger needs is that baby flying off and smacking you in the head!!!!

remember on our last trip when a water bottle on the back seat of my car ended up under my brake pedal after 6 BENDS!!!

Still, all looks very impressive. shame i didn't know about the lepson trip, you could have taken my rangey wheel with ya!

Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts