BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Beast (aka Maggie) is my daily driver which in Colorado Springs requires full winter tires during the winter months. Going into my first winter I was really worried about this but it proved to be unfounded. With a proper set of tires the M5 does remarkably well in most reasonable snow and icy conditions that we encounter here. There were days when she didn't leave the house but fortunately I can work from home when I need to...it wasn't more than about 3-4 days anyway.

I stilled missed the PS2's though as in the intervening warm dry days that we get, the grip was noticably less and the look of the narrower tires definately takes away from the "Beastliness" of the car. This week I couldn't wait any longer and had the PS2's put back on.

During the first couple of warm days it was wonderful to have them back but it can still get quite cold around here and I simply didn't think about that last night. Leaving our favorite sushi restaurant I went ahead and put her into Sport/DSC off but was engaged in conversation. By the time I made my way to the exit onto the streets I wasn't thinking about sprited driving but in Sport mode it becomes a given. When the light turned green I pushed on the gas, started to make my left turn and :eek:oohhh:....where the hell is the backend going!?!?!

We fishtailed around to the left then over-corrected back to the right, then back to the left where the center median/planter/tree/certain front end damage loomed ominously into view (right, right, right, right I'm thinking)...back to the right, into the lane and back under control...

Next I felt something hit me in the back of the head...at first I was wondering what was flying around back there but a look at my wifes face in the passenger seat cleared up that mystery.

Now I went into diagnosis mode to figure out what had caused this and a quick look at the dash revealed an ever so slighty above freezing outside temperature. Performance tires don't like to be cold and apparently hate being near frozen.

I should have known better and the more experienced of you are probably having a good laugh but I thought I would take the time to remind the rest of you to mind the cold when you return to your proper shoes as things warm up.

Cheers!
Knave

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for the reminder. Glad to hear there was no damage to you, your wife or Maggie!

I just took delivery yesterday of a full set of brand new PS2s and I can't wait to pull the winter wheels off but it has been hovering around 34-36 degrees and sleeting for the past three days.

I'm just going to have to wait until spring finally decides to arrive.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Thanks for the cautionary reminder - but just once again leads me to question the wisdom of switching DSC off when on a public road... Off all the unfortunate crashes (or near crashes) I have read about on this board, the common denominator of the vast majority is DSC off

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Huh, my girl is named Maggie as well... After my grandmother who was a quiet little lady until you got her excited :)

d-
Maggie Mae was the inspiration for me. She is the first used car I have ever bought in my life and....

"The morning sun when its in your face really shows your age;
But that don't worry me none in my eyes you're eveything!"

Someday I hope to give her a spa weekend at a reputable paint and body shop.

K

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
but just once again leads me to question the wisdom of switching DSC off when on a public road...
If I didn't put DSC off on public roads then it would never be off...no handy tracks or abandoned airfields in my neck of the woods...I applaud your safety mindedness but I suspect you must have more self control than a lot of us on the board.

:cheers: Here's to a constant mind for the safety of us, others on the road and our beasts...I guess I needed a little reminder.

K

·
Registered
410 Posts
I know all too well what you mean by slender winter tires taking away from the beast. I sold my winters and bought a '94 Jetta 4 door with no extra cash :) .
An interesting experiment you can try is leave your summers out for a few hours in the winter (make sure they don't get stolen) and then check the rubber - it'll feel pretty much like hard plastic!

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
...with DSC off I've had the rear end go on me in a turn, even when it's warm -she got the powa...:7:

The type of tread isn't the only difference between summer and snow tires..

...once you get below 45f the summer rubber compound just doesn't perform well, it gets harder/slippery. :eek:oohhh:

I don't drive below that temp with summer tires - - under a German law, the driver is responsible to be prepared for conditions, meaning all season, snow tires if below 8c I think (46f) for the above reasons, so if you are in an accident, or block the road as a result, you can be fined, and it could have an insurance impact etc...

No worries, spring is almost here :applause:

·
Registered
988 Posts
Im heading to NC later this week, so I took a chance on putting my summer tires back on last Wednesday. I went from the shop (bright and sunny) about 38 F to another appointment..An hour later I went out to the car. I live on a lake, and the wind had changed and with that there was what looked to be an inch of snow on the car, and it was snowing soo hard you couldn't see..It was an interesting ride home to say the least..Conti S2's are not good at all in that stuff...

·
Registered
683 Posts
Lol,

One more month to go!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts