BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

541 - 553 of 553 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Somewhat OT but some cars include this mysterious "S902A - Special Inspection Press Vehicles" in the list of options. Rumors often say that there were some "hidden modifications" made from the factory to reduce weight on these carshmmm. Does anyone have better information about the exact content of this S902A option? At least sunroof is usually missing on these cars.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I hae nothing useful to add but to say that this car is built heavy with luxury in mind. My steering adjustment is automatic via a button and i am sure that motor weighs a little . Doors are like tank, It's a heavy guage metal, it's there with purpose. Other day i did spark plug change and spark plug covers are at least 5-7 pounds each. Under carriage that protect engine under the car is at least 5 pounds. Transmission cover is about 10 with brackets.

I think if you knit pick, you can lose alot of weight but that would mean that you compromise the driveability of comfort of the car.

I think i am going to stick with muffler deletes for now till people start making more carbon fiber parts for this car that don't cost an arm and a leg.

In this thread someone did seat conversion for $3000. I am rolling on the floor. I know i am cheap but $3000 for front seats. :) . Ess tuning supercharger is $4500 just to compare. I am stuck with same delimma as well. I want this car to lose weight but my honda civic days are way behind me. It has to be tasteful and not jeopardize the daily driver.

so for me, these things are out of question.

1. carbon fiber hood ( civic si days are over).
2. carbon fiber trunk (same as above)
3. Battery ( just to summerize this thread, people tried all sort of batteries but they don't work in cold climate CCA's are too low).
4. Muffler delete ( i LIKE THIS ONE)
5. Seats ( i am ok with manual seats as long as they look good but not willing to spend 3K)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Does anyone know of a supplier that still makes an e39 carbon fiber hood that has OE-levels of fit and finish and that results in significant weight savings? Thanks.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Speaking of carbon hoods, I just spent 2 hours today grinding the openings to fit kidney grills. If I would have bought this hood I would have been pissed (it came with the car). Plus the "Powa Bulge" looks silly. The vents are pretty cool though. My car is going to be used on the track and I will be doing some weight savings as well. I think fixed back seats will be a big one. I wish I knew enough about the wiring to take out all of the unneeded stuff.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Does anyone know of a supplier that still makes an e39 carbon fiber hood that has OE-levels of fit and finish and that results in significant weight savings? Thanks.
I'm running OEM look Seibon. Pretty satisfied with the fitment and finish. However the weight saving isn't huge - about 1/2 from the OEM hood. For best weight reduction look for a dry carbon hood which 100% requires hood pins.

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
Contact either John Kamler of Axis Power Racing (who can make anything out of dry carbon) or anyone at Bimmerworld (which has a carbon manufacturer who can make just about anything out of dry carbon as well). I have Kamler's CF roof and bumper supports on my M5.

--Peter

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Contact either John Kamler of Axis Power Racing (who can make anything out of dry carbon) or anyone at Bimmerworld (which has a carbon manufacturer who can make just about anything out of dry carbon as well). I have Kamler's CF roof and bumper supports on my M5.

--Peter
Think he'd be up for a Vorsteiner GRT (no slats / with power dome) repro?

541 - 553 of 553 Posts