BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been debating on what to get as a stable mate for the M5. I am thinking between 95-97 Carrera or a C5 ZO6 or a Viper GTS. What do you guys (and girls) suggest?

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
depends what you want out of the 2nd car.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Get a Lotus Elise... I had one before and there is no car that is more fun to drive. You have to remeber no comforts, though they added electric windows, aircon and a load of other stuff for the US market, it was mich more raw before they imported to the US.

http://www.lotuscars.com/lotus.html

:wroom:

·
10,456 Posts
i'm not a viper guy, and while the z06 will be fast, it will have a lot of bells and whistles, i think. I'd vote for the 993, get a gt3 if you can (did they come to the US during the 993 production?)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would get a used S54 ///M Coupe....keep it within the family :D

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I would not get a carrera, only a tt or gt2.

Viper is a pos but a fast pos. I wouldn't get a zo6 cuz i tend to think of old guys in mid life cris with them.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
A '97 993 is a good choice, though a '94 3.6 TT would be much better (and more expensive).

I have a friend with two Vipers - they are amazingly fast but the finish is crap, especially for someone used to German cars. The interior appears to have been designed by the mini-van department.

A Z06? Fast, handles well, good looking, and cheap, but in most states you are required by law to wear gold chains and bad cologne when driving one. I have seen more than one leave a track day with severely cracked front rotors.

An Elise is quick but has the appearance, fit, and finish of a Manx dune buggy.

But then, I am partial to Porsches...

Steve

00 M5
99 996
76 930
64 356C race
64 356C street

·
Registered
36 Posts
Something more personal and more hard-core. With not so much of the bells and whistles.
Depends on what you're into - if you want brutal power the 993 won't do it for you, go Z06 (great well balanced car) or viper (raw brute). The Porsche is the best built of all of them by far however, and personally I'd go with that -- actually I'd go with an early 2.2 or 2.4 911S (1970-1973) in top shape. I used to have a '73- classic beauty, exotic sound, and absolutely thrilling to drive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts