BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one live in San Francisco have any suggestions on a good location to bed new brake pads? I've been reading the bedding instructions at Zeckhausen site and I sounds like I need a like a highway...sort of a rare thing in the City. Great Highway perhaps?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Any one live in San Francisco have any suggestions on a good location to bed new brake pads? I've been reading the bedding instructions at Zeckhausen site and I sounds like I need a like a highway...sort of a rare thing in the City. Great Highway perhaps?
I had the same issues breaking in some Axxis pads in SF. Went to the MacArthur tunnel in the Presidio, and then the roads in South San Francisco, below Cesar Chavez along 101 (on the west side of 101, not Hunters Pt!).

Good luck. With all the break-in, my pads still squeaked for 6 months, especially in the cold and wet. Now it's a bit better, but still squeaks once in a while when damp. Not too easy breaking in the pads within the 7x7.

·
10,456 Posts
what about early mornings on a sunday? i've been on a very empty richmond/san rafael bridge a couple times.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Take the same route as Steve McQueen in Bullitt, that should break them in.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Early morning or late at night on 280. Be sure there is no traffic near you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I always go along the parallel road to 101 just south of candlestick...plenty of run to do multiple runs in a straight line and little traffic after 9pm...then yu can easily cool them down on 101 north.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The problem is, any where I go, I'd hit stop lights and then the pads will sit on the rotors for the duration of the light, contrary to proper break in at best I could roll through the park and out the panhandle and if I drive slow enough (hah, right!) and catch all the lights on Oak St (haha right!). I might make it on to the Octavia onramp. I think I'll try Great Highway. I could hit 60 pretty fast. Plus it'd be 8 runs out and 8 back in. Or was it 7?
Thanks for the ideas everyone!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts