BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
I had a quick SES light this morning commuting to work. The light was one for literally 8-10 minutes and then went away, never came back. I went out to lunch, no light; commuting to my mech's shop, no light.

We just finished scanning and the results:

Catalytic Converter Conversion, Bank 1
Catalytic Converter Conversion, Bank 2

What are my options? I would not rather not go aftermarket as that would require software as well. How much are OEM cat parts above? Where can I buy them from?

Also, another code was "Signal, camshaft sensor, inlet, bank 2". What is this and where can I buy it from? How can I be sure it's the bank 2 one?

Thanks for all the help/advice, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I'd wait and see if code comes back. May have been something other than cats that tripped that code (lots of things can do it).

As for options, I went OEM but did so primarily because I was still under Federal Emissions warranty (up to 80K miles). I see you have an '00 beast so I'm guessing you're beyond the 80K limit. I think the cats are about $1700 each from BMW. I don't know of any other alternatives aside from race cats (Supersprint, Magnaflow). Try a search and see if anything else comes up.

OEM part #s are:
18301406812 and 18301406813

Crown BMW parts has them for $1695.33 each
https://secure.webmakerx.net/Default-2.aspx?hostname=parts.crownauto.com

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'm leaning towards possibly doing a cat bypass deal and just getting software to take care of no cats.

My only concern is the car being too loud or the sound to be disgusting without cats ... just not sure how it will sound without cats and I don't want my car to sound like ***.

It sounds delicious now with the Xpipe and Kelleners, I wish I knew what it would sound like with just two cat bypass pipes.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Remove the OEM cats, put two stainless steel pipes in their place, and get some software.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts