BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 96 K, i am going to replace my rear rotors in the next several thousand or so miles.

I replaced the fronts recently with Power slot rotors, I opened up the front brake ducts, and installed a slim bones grill, all in an effort add cooling to avoid warping the front brakes rotors as had happened several times in the past. at the same time, i cut the rear rotors, but they have not stayed true, so does anyone know of a great deal on some rear rotors? I know of many sites that sell them, but if anyone knows of a current good/very good deal...maybe a fathers day sale (LOL)!!!

Oh, I do not track the car, mostly highway driving, I am no longer a hot dog driver. I want to drive this car ( 2000 M5, in near mint condition) for many years to come.

Thank you in advance. Have a great day.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Tire rack has a great deal on pricing and also free shipping on suspension / brake orders over $50, can't beat that.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The vibration that people often interpret as warped rotors is more often a result of uneven pad deposits on the rotors which cause the brakes to shake. Take a look at this link:

-Warped- Brake Disc and Other Myths

Edit: I run slotted Stop Techs that have stayed smooth as silk using Akebono ceramic pads, even after a couple of track days. Note that not everyone likes Akebono, but I do because of the smoothness and very low brake dust.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
The vibration that people often interpret as warped rotors is more often a result of uneven pad deposits on the rotors which cause the brakes to shake. Take a look at this link:

-Warped- Brake Disc and Other Myths

Edit: I run slotted Stop Techs that have stayed smooth as silk using Akebono ceramic pads, even after a couple of track days. Note that not everyone likes Akebono, but I do because of the smoothness and very low brake dust.
This..

I cannot overemphasize the importance of understanding pad deposition as a "cause' of "warped rotors". Rotors hardly ever warmp.... 90% of it is pad deposition. Hard driving, hot rotors, come to s full stop- boom, warped. Just rebed them.

When you 'recut' the rotors, you take off the surface layer- so presto, must have been warped. And comes back with the next full hard stop.

When you track the car or really abuse the brakes, just be very cognizant of how you apply brakes until they cool- just no full stops... simple

A

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
If you are planning to replace the rotors, which if you have machined them then I would consider replacing them, just go with the Centric brand rotors for sale from TireRack as stated above. It's a great price and the rotors are good quality. You don't need any slotted or drilled rotors. They are a big waste of money IMO. (Especially since you don't track the car)

·
Registered
913 Posts
RockAuto likely has those same Centric rotors for less. Even the StopTech Street Performance Pads are the cheapest there I've seen.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
RockAuto likely has those same Centric rotors for less. Even the StopTech Street Performance Pads are the cheapest there I've seen.
Times have changed, I guess it's been 3 years since I bought my rotors :confused3

Thanks for the lead!

Reactions: mister2d

·
Registered
59 Posts
for what its worth

being an M5 newbie after much agonising and researching my head was going to explode....I went with the correct Euro Discs for mine being alloy floating hub design which I understand the US spec cars didnt get. I purchased mine from Ebay supplier Partscontainer with a good price by Aussie standards and OEM German made quality. I opted for Hawk HPS pads from ECS Tuning and threw in a set of stainless ECS brake lines along with a pile of other gear. Even though my current setup is shot and I am running on borrowed time the car still stops on dime so I am looking forward to the refreshed setup and a set of Koni Yellow Sports!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Rockauto is substantially cheaper for stoptech pads and rotors. From what I recall, I got centric rotors and stoptech street pads, all corners for about $400 shipped through rock auto which is a pretty killer deal.

·
Registered
7,553 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts