BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi.

I am planning to go from the two subs to 1. I have searched threads and am still unsure of wiring.

I am planning on adding an amp.

Options I see are:

1) Pick a speaker wire from one sub or the other unless subs are stereo. Are they?
2) Use + from one and - from the other to get a mono output then go to amp or line-level converter.
3) Use #2 to bridge the stock amplfier and drive aftermarket sub with that??? Not sure stock sub impedence.

Thanks.

Ryan

·
Registered
158 Posts
Re: Subwoofer wiring ? : 2 M-Audio subs to 1 aftermarket

The easiest way to add the amp is by getting one that accepts speaker-level input and using one of the existing subs wiring as signal to the amp.

You might do some looking at bmwtips.com in the Tips and Tricks area. Lots of information of the DSP system and work-arounds to its limitations.

The most important is that the DSP clips the bass at higher volumes, since the stock 5 1/4 "woofers" can't keep up. Unfortunately, this means the signal you would steal to run the new amp would be clipped as well. There is info there about getting the pure signal out (before the DSP) - takes a little work, but if you really want the bass......

·
Registered
366 Posts

1st) search the archives, tons of posts on this.
2d) disassemble Nokia or M sub connections and choose 1 pair + & - from the headunit, remove factory subs if necessary
3d) get a line level output adapter and connect it to the + & - from the headunit, you can search google, they are like $8
4th) run RCAs out to the aftermkt sub amplifier from the LLOA
5th) run 2 16ga wires from amp to the single sub biding posts

** obviously an aftermkt sub is used here and installed accordingly in the trunk

DONE

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks for the response.

I did search both here and BMW tips. Obviously I could pick one of the subs and run a converter or an amp that accepts line level.

The question was whether or not subs are running mono or stereo (not that bass is often stereo). Secondly whether or not the stock amp output could be bridged to give enough oompf for an aftermarket sub (doubtful).

Thanks.

·
Registered
366 Posts

mono sub amp is cheap enough off ebay and no need for 2 subs

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

ALEV8 said:
mono sub amp is cheap enough off ebay and no need for 2 subs
I'm talking about the stock setup...whether or not the subs are stereo or mono. I don't want just to pick one of the speaker outputs if they are.

R

·
Registered
158 Posts

Ag02M5 said:
Thanks for the response.

I did search both here and BMW tips. Obviously I could pick one of the subs and run a converter or an amp that accepts line level.

The question was whether or not subs are running mono or stereo (not that bass is often stereo). Secondly whether or not the stock amp output could be bridged to give enough oompf for an aftermarket sub (doubtful).

Thanks.
The stock system is stereo. The channels of the DSP amp are all discrete - not bridgeable. If you wanted to bridge, get a dual voice-coil sub and run the left and right channels to separate coils. I don't think you will be happy with that solution, however ;)

If you use the speaker-level signal, you will want more volume at a lower input level (a new amp with adjustable gain) to help address the roll-off of the bass at higher volume.

Have you upgraded the other speakers in your system? You might find that your new sub setup overpowers the stock satellite speakers. A swap to MBQuart mids and tweeters will dramatically improve the high-end, if you haven't done it already.

·
Registered
158 Posts

Ag02M5 said:
I'm talking about the stock setup...whether or not the subs are stereo or mono. I don't want just to pick one of the speaker outputs if they are.

R
Ah -
Even though the stock subs are stereo, they also handle more than the lower bass frequencies. Once you get down to a real sub's response range, there really isn't stereo. Your new sub will not produce the same dynamic range (it will roll-off much lower than the stock speaker), so it doesn't need the stereo input.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

chrisj said:
The stock system is stereo. The channels of the DSP amp are all discrete - not bridgeable. If you wanted to bridge, get a dual voice-coil sub and run the left and right channels to separate coils. I don't think you will be happy with that solution, however ;)

If you use the speaker-level signal, you will want more volume at a lower input level (a new amp with adjustable gain) to help address the roll-off of the bass at higher volume.

Have you upgraded the other speakers in your system? You might find that your new sub setup overpowers the stock satellite speakers. A swap to MBQuart mids and tweeters will dramatically improve the high-end, if you haven't done it already.
Thanks. What about bridging the stock amp and running to aftermarket amp to get a truly mono output. I am not going to run a DVC sub.

I am still in planning mode. I think I am going to just replace speakers and not hack the car up. I am debating size right now. I do plan to remove the enclosures but not sure what size speakers I can put in. I'd like to do 6.5 front and rear on an MDF baffle.

R

·
Registered
366 Posts

Chris-

I will PM you for some advice with mine if that's OK. I need help basically getting everything right, though I am pretty clear on a simple level what goes where. It's all sitting in the trunk save the line level adapter.

PPI Powerclass 2400 amp
custom box with 1 Infinity Kappa Perfect 10"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts