BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. I'm diving into my M5 and trying to sort out a few things that bug me.

#1 Can the autolocking doors feature be overridden? When I want out of the car, I don't like having to try to open the door twice before it opens. Then I try to get my briefcase out of the trunk and find that it is locked. Granted, I could just train myself to push the unlock button each time I exit the car, but I'd rather just override the system if possible.

On my old Audi there were several little tricks for overriding the embedded electronics. Perhaps the are on BMW's as well???

#2 Likewise, is there a simple way to have the car always be in sport mode on start up? Kind of odd that the system defaults to the non-sport mode. It's an M5 for cripes sake - of course I want sport mode every time I drive it!!!!

Thanks to all. Will try to minimize dumb questions from here on out!! :D :D

·
Registered
192 Posts
wolfturbo said:
O.K. I'm diving into my M5 and trying to sort out a few things that bug me.

#1 Can the autolocking doors feature be overridden? When I want out of the car, I don't like having to try to open the door twice before it opens. Then I try to get my briefcase out of the trunk and find that it is locked. Granted, I could just train myself to push the unlock button each time I exit the car, but I'd rather just override the system if possible.

On my old Audi there were several little tricks for overriding the embedded electronics. Perhaps the are on BMW's as well???

#2 Likewise, is there a simple way to have the car always be in sport mode on start up? Kind of odd that the system defaults to the non-sport mode. It's an M5 for cripes sake - of course I want sport mode every time I drive it!!!!

Thanks to all. Will try to minimize dumb questions from here on out!! :D :D

#1 Your service center will do this for you, allmost all settings can be set to a default of your choice, locks, lights etc...

#2 Not sure about this one, see #1 :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Can the autolocking doors be overridden??

Hi Wolf.

Yes you can overide the idiot doors by bringing the car to the dealer. They reprogram your primary key fob. If you want all the keys to work in that mode you will have to bring them in as well.

In my wifes '02 Explorer I could reprogram it myself by looking it up in the manual.

This one's not so simple. I asked my Dinan certified dealer if they could reprogram the default to sport mode and the answer was no. It's the same on my ZR-1. The valet key is defaulted to half power and needs to be switched on each and every time you start the car - what a pain.:M5launch:

Take care
Therapy

'03 M5 light titanium with Dinan stuff
'91 Corvette ZR-1
'66 427 Vette coupe
'66 Shelby GT350 (yeah - a real one)
'02 Explorer Eddie Bauer

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Can the autolocking doors be overridden??

Therapy,

You're my new hero with that lineup of cars!! I used to have a '66 L72 roadster and a '67 GT500KR. That was the extent of my muscle car madness before crossing over to the dark side (italian toys & early 911's!).

Thanks for the info!

Wolf

therapy said:
Hi Wolf.

Yes you can overide the idiot doors by bringing the car to the dealer. They reprogram your primary key fob. If you want all the keys to work in that mode you will have to bring them in as well.

In my wifes '02 Explorer I could reprogram it myself by looking it up in the manual.

This one's not so simple. I asked my Dinan certified dealer if they could reprogram the default to sport mode and the answer was no. It's the same on my ZR-1. The valet key is defaulted to half power and needs to be switched on each and every time you start the car - what a pain.:M5launch:

Take care
Therapy

'03 M5 light titanium with Dinan stuff
'91 Corvette ZR-1
'66 427 Vette coupe
'66 Shelby GT350 (yeah - a real one)
'02 Explorer Eddie Bauer

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: Can the autolocking doors be overridden??

You're my new hero with that lineup of cars!! I used to have a '66 L72 roadster and a '67 GT500KR. That was the extent of my muscle car madness before crossing over to the dark side (italian toys & early 911's!).

Thanks for the info!

Hi again Wolf,

Hey - you're the guy with all the Porsches. I have always loved the 911 series, from the beginning but could never fit in them since I'm 6'7". It's only recently that they started making them with adjustable steering columns so that "regular" guys like me could drive them. By that time I was into other things. I also went through an Italian phase starting in the early 70s with Fiats, Alfas, and later old Ferraris. Thank goodness I don't have any more of them. They were more mechanical and oil leaking nightmares with those vehicles than with all the British cars I had put together.

The KR was, and is, an exciting car, and, I'm glad to see that you had a midyear (C2) in your past. All is not lost! You can still return to the fold!

Keep on havin' fun:byebye:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts