BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 M5. I cant seem to get the ignition key back to position "0" to remove the key, as it is stuck in position one. I have tried giggling the steering wheel as this tends to have worked in the past, in addition to others in this forum who have had the same issue, but to no avail. Any other suggestions before I take it to the shop? I have since removed the battery cable so I can start the thing tomorrow A.M.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Wow thats bizzare, ive never heard of anything like that. Maybe try spraying some compressed air on it upside down to cool it down, maybe it will just help a little to get it out?

The only time ive doen that was the first time i drove a domestic. So use to turning the key all the way back to take it out, instead i turned it all the way to the accesory position and couldnt get it out lol.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, after hours of fiddleing, I think I fixed the problem. I turned the steering wheel all the way to the left. It must have turned passed a certain point to allow the ignition lock to disengage. I then was able to remove the key. Very weird. I used a bit of WD-40 afterwards too since this car hasn't been operated in over a year...Hopefully that will solve any reoccuring issues. Tomorrow I am getting what everyone is referring to the "beast" looked over at a service center before I buy it tomorrow. Now I can sleep a little better knowing that is fixed (for now). Thanks for all the suggestions...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts