BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Stuck at BMW startup screen

16K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  platii 
#1 ·
Hey guys. Hope everyone's been safe.
So my M6 has been sitting for about a month and I've just started driving it again and the Idrive is stuck on the BMW logo. I hear the PDCs running. I tried rebooting with no luck. The screen blacks out like its rebooting and stays on the BMW screen. Any idea what it could be? My battery did get very low which I recharged after getting a whole bunch of error messages.
Anyone go through this? I find it hard to believe the ccc is toast for just sitting.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Just did a google search "stuck on the BMW logo" - tons of stuff comes up. you are not the only one that has had this issue. Id start by reading some of those.

#3 ·
Alrite guys so the head unit is getting power to it from ISTA tests and it suggests programming. So I use NCSExpert to code the modules and when I get to CHGHOST this is what pops up.

Any idea what it could be? Should I just replace the headunit? I will double check the wires behind the display but I'm pretty sure somwthing fried from my low battery startup.

#5 ·
Hey guys. Would this CCC work? Seems like there's two versions. The more expensive ones don't seem to have the cd changer numbers on it. This ccc looks exactly like mine but I'm wondering if it came off a non-m, 6 series, does it still work?(After coding or course)

#8 ·
It probably will. Just read the description first tho lol...

Codng a new CCC s not simple. Take yours and send it to these guys
It's actually super simple. Default code with blank man file and done.

#6 · (Edited)
I am not expert at coding/flashing but I will try to help as much as I could.

I think you need to give this error more time to search it. Up to this point it seems you are having trouble with the software setup and daten files rather than a failure of the ccc unit. you may still have a good unit just with missed up software, I am not sure how it got to this state.

1- What are the fault codes? with ISTA/ INPA.
2- what ncsexpert version you are using?

#7 ·
#9 ·
When I did mine you had to code the CCC not just use a blank MAN file. Have you tried that and it worked?

#10 ·
@roseng
What we talk about in here and what the OP is trying to do is to code the the original CCC to the factory original setup which technically should be coded with empty MAN file, I guess what you referring to is to code a different CCC unit from different car or different setup from the VO of the car, then yeah you need to recode it to the new setup.

#12 ·
Please see post #5. That is what I was responding to.

#11 ·
They're both the same thing - blank man coding using the VO from your car CAS should code any unit from any car to your car.

I know CCC can be iffy to code but IMO it's related to the bmw standard tools installation and not to the ccc itself. I've coded a few pre-LCI cars with DSC off thus these are just my observations.

#14 ·
Hey guys, its been a while since I've coded so I don't remember exactly what I did but I remember going through each module and updating.
Can someone point me in the right direction with this blank man file procedure? Just what to make sure its not the software before shelling out cash unnecessarily.

#15 ·
Hello everyone. I tried to code the car with a blank man file and also tried with the factory profile on NCS with no luck. I get the pop-up error screen as shown in the pics when I try to either code the car or by individual module for the ccc. I also pulled up some screens from ISTA and ran a few tests. Does this look like a ccc failure? TIA guys. [emoji120]

#16 ·
The NCS or winkfp error is not clear, anyways it is not easy to program the ccc, first it is a big file require long time of hours, and require you to use ICOM and MOST adapter to successfully program it, the other factor is knowing which module and file to program.
ISTA fault is related to failed programming step.

#17 ·
@flacoramos said it was just as simple as blank man coding.
I was able to code all of the ccc modules except cappl and chost. Now it starts glitches out at the bmw logo but still stuck there.
Here are a few more screens. I tested the head unit on Ista and there's power but I'm assuming it won't send out a signal? I'm chalking it down to a faulty ccc at this point. I've tried everything and having no idrive is not good.

#19 ·
#20 ·
I can see the Error now, it is the same as earlier post, have you updated the SP-daten/

As ISTA, you need to PROGRAM the module with winkfp not a simple coding. Programming means you install a fresh software and it will take hours may be 8-12 hour or more with obd cable that's why it is not recommended on modules like the ccc, but if your unit is stuck already give it a try, you need a power supply of 45A set it at 13.8V at the car which is may be 14V at the machine, pull the SMG big orange fuse so no power interruption.
Good Luck and feed back.

#22 ·
Good you fixed the issue.
There was a good chance to fix the old one by programming. I believe module like that gets software corruption simply because of power issues for example and by re-uplading the software it will function again. My steering module had similar software issues and as yours ISTA picked it and requested programming and coding, once the module been coded it start to work again. The only problem in your case is big size software file which is hard to be loaded with obd cable as the cable isn't stable enough but it could.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.