BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving my M5 home from the auto parts store and all of a sudden it started to run rough at a traffic light. It got worse, and keeping the throttle open was the only thing keeping it running. I had the windows down so I could smell (and see) that it was running very rough. I limped it home (~1 mile) and shut it off. I checked the codes and it shows all sorts of misfire and #6 Injector. All the symptoms lined up with a bad injector.

I took out the original injectors and swapped in a different set of injectors.

I had my wife turn the car on to key position 2. Sure enough #6 injector is wide open and flowing!

My question is; is it a wiring short, or has the ECU died?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,924 Posts
ECU issue, normally. There is a DIY on how to replace the injector driver in the ECU. That said there have been a couple of cases where the software was doing it but in the DIY the pics look pretty convincing when a driver shorts out so that should steer you in the correct path. Bet you Clemster has the correct ECU for your car. You can find him in the for sale thread.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! By process of elimination it had to be wiring or ECU. With the diagrams I could troubleshoot the wiring, but I figured that some one here could probably point me in the direction of the highest probability. I'll check with Clemster, as simply replacing the ECU seems like a much easier proposition!

Thanks again!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts