BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I have been lurking a bit and it seems the Koni Yellows are popular. My car has 182000 km and still rides pretty well but always looking for some improvement in handling but without destroying ride quality and I am also consdering a move to Tasmania (Targa Tasmania is held there) and while the roads are fun they are absolute C#$%%p so I need to be mindful of this element. I like the stock ride height as Australia loves to install speed humps and spoiler destroying kerbs so I am not sure if I should fit new shocks and keep existing springs or change the coils as well. Any thoughts as to the best riding spring that maintains stock ride height and would suit the yellows?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
260 Posts
You will hear more opinions on this than you care to.
Some will tell you to switch them because you're already there. (I agree)
Others will tell you they will last the life of the car.

IMHO; If you're questioning this then change them. You have nothing to loose.

Reactions: chuffykow

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Here's another data point:

I swapped out my OEM 200,000 mile rear springs & struts with a used, 20,000 mile setup and immediately gained 1 full inch in height (well, the car did ;)).
Like 'lifetime' fluids, springs have a shelf life as well - Cheers.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Here's another data point:

I swapped out my OEM 200,000 mile rear springs & struts with a used, 20,000 mile setup and immediately gained 1 full inch in height (well, the car did ;)).
Like 'lifetime' fluids, springs have a shelf life as well - Cheers.
A lot of people on here would consider that a bad thing. :)

But I agree. For some reason that I never saw explained in my 4 year engineering degree course or subsequent 30+ years of practical engineering, steel deforms permanently under stresses a lot less than yield and temperatures too low to cause creep.

I've just ordered OEM struts and not springs because I am OK with the present ride height and because I have faith that the Young's modulus of the damn spring steel hasn't degraded as well over time, so the spring stiffness is still the same.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hi All

I have been lurking a bit and it seems the Koni Yellows are popular. My car has 182000 km and still rides pretty well but always looking for some improvement in handling but without destroying ride quality and I am also consdering a move to Tasmania (Targa Tasmania is held there) and while the roads are fun they are absolute C#$%%p so I need to be mindful of this element. I like the stock ride height as Australia loves to install speed humps and spoiler destroying kerbs so I am not sure if I should fit new shocks and keep existing springs or change the coils as well. Any thoughts as to the best riding spring that maintains stock ride height and would suit the yellows?

thanks in advance
Hi and welcome to the Board.

I have just moved to Tasmania, and can confirm your assertion that the roads are awesome yet woeful. As a consequence, I'm not going to go for KWs or BC coil overs, and will most likely be going with OEM or Koni Yellow shocks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
going to order Koni

So what state did you move from? Where is Hobart are you living? We will hopefully move over at the end of the year and maybe a Targa Tassie could be on the horizon one day

I have decided to order Koni from ECS Tuning along with all the relevant bits and pieces such as sway bar links etc so looking forward to the new ride but more pressing issues like oil and coolant consumption to be dealt with

1 - 8 of 8 Posts