BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I was changing my oil level sender while doing an oil change today. The sender was clearly bad because I was getting a warning on my dash about checking oil level, and it reported my oil temperature as 300 degrees. The sender came off just fine, however, when securing the new one I seem to have stripped the threads in the pan that the stud threads into. Two of the three nuts attached properly, however, the third nut is gripping a little bit, but not secured like the other two. It continues to turn when torque is applied.

The questions are:

1) Is the car drivable? I suspect that if the pan is not pressured, then it shouldn't be a problem. However, I'm worried about it violently blasting out oil.
2) Is this easily repairable?
3) Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for comments and suggestions.

-Jonesy

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It turns out that the nut that would normally hold the sensor against the oil pan was stripped at the head of that stud. It wasn't the actual oil pan that was stripped. YAY. I removed the stud entirely, placed with an M6-1.0 x 25 length hex bolt with a washer on it, and it secured the sensor perfectly. The other two nuts hold the sensor properly as well. Problem is fixed.

Time to celebrate with beer + videogames, because I'm done acting responsibly for the day.

-J

1 - 2 of 2 Posts