BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way home tonight I tried to light the tires. At the light I raised RPMs to 2500-3000 and dumped the clutch... the car revved real high and did not leave the line quickly.When I got home two blocks away I could smell a burning "brake" smell. Could this be the clutch on the way out? did I do something wrong? The car did the same thing right after I got her a couple of months ago.... but hasnt since till today??:1zhelp:

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Probably but that smell was clutch being pushed hard... and if you keep on riding the clutch it will give up soon...ease of use should get you more life on the clutch...
On the way home tonight I tried to light the tires. At the light I raised RPMs to 2500-3000 and dumped the clutch... the car revved real high and did not leave the line quickly.When I got home two blocks away I could smell a burning "brake" smell. Could this be the clutch on the way out? did I do something wrong? The car did the same thing right after I got her a couple of months ago.... but hasnt since till today??:1zhelp:

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
dumping the clutch at 2500-3000 is not a very good way to leave the line fast or a way to keep your clutch and drivetrain together... Yes, you definetley overheated and slipped the clutch.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Are you kidding me?

The smell is not "the clutch on the way out"... it is "the owner abusing and burning up the clutch"

The M5 clutch just cannot be abused- you'll pay the price.

A

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I knew I would get roasted here for the comment(action) and I have. I have been gentle with the clutch since purchase, but had a moment of lets leave a strip of rubber down..and was caught off gaurd by the sound etc..I hadnt really ever experienced anything like that. I was just trying to do this>:M5launch: Is there a safe way to lay it down? I hate to ask the "stupid" question, but lets get it out of the way.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
LOL...you know how protective we are on your wallet and don't want you spending $$$...that's why:haha:...I think in order not to burn/ save the clutch you have to get it completely hook before giving it gas, so i think there is a slim chance on getting the tires to lay unless you dump the clutch and hammer the gas pedal jmho...but occasional laying of tires is sometimes what the doctor recommends:cheers:

I knew I would get roasted here for the comment(action) and I have. I have been gentle with the clutch since purchase, but had a moment of lets leave a strip of rubber down..and was caught off gaurd by the sound etc..I hadnt really ever experienced anything like that. I was just trying to do this>:M5launch: Is there a safe way to lay it down? I hate to ask the "stupid" question, but lets get it out of the way.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL...you know how protective we are on your wallet and don't want you spending $$$...that's why:haha:...I think in order not to burn/ save the clutch you have to get it completely hook before giving it gas, so i think there is a slim chance on getting the tires to lay unless you dump the clutch and hammer the gas pedal jmho...but occasional laying of tires is sometimes what the doctor recommends:cheers:
Thanks Chris! I was feeling sick and needed the mental boost:M5launch: Probably just didnt do it the RIGHT way! cherrsagai

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
I never have trouble laying a strip of rubber (in multiple gears on a STOCK M5). I make sure the clutch is fully engaged and give it 3/4 throttle at first and then full throttle as it gets moving. Upon shifting, I only give it 3/4 throttle at first, and soon after full throttle ... but, NOT until the clutch pedal is "free" of my left-foot. (Sport ON, DSC OFF)

I have achieved multiple runs of sub 5.1 seconds with ease ...

Maybe your MAFs need cleaning ... mine are good for 141.1 L/M.

(I see you are in Grand Junction, CO ... the altitude may contribute to your problem.)

Reactions: DentalBoy
1 - 8 of 8 Posts