BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normal driving, stereo cut out and AC stopped for about a second, then would come back on. Any idea what it could be? I did some research and found some other people had the same thing but no good explanation besides could be a ground to hunt down. 72 degrees today and the engine fan is coming on also for a few minutes after I park the car. I would not think it was that hot. Temp needle is a bit over the middle.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Alternator and Battery problems seem to be a trand right now for the older (60,000 mile-ish) M5's, at least based on my own very recent experience and some posts on this board. I guess it could be that, although generally most people seem to be getting the 'christmas tree' of errors instead of things cutting out.

Pre-LCI CCC Systems seem to run a fan to cool down the electronics. I imagine if the CCC Drive gets too hot it could cut out to prevent damage, but that's my guess not based on any actual research.

I generally find the temp needle struggles to get over halfway except on super-hot days or very spirited driving - when was the last time you got your coolant checked and replaced?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Coolant was replaced by BMW about 6 months ago

·
Registered
827 Posts
My strong guess is a bad voltage regulator in the alternator. Get the error memory read. If there are markings about a too high voltage in one or more modules, then it's probably the voltage regulator.
Not very difficult to change.

- Antti -

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ok I have now started getting the same problem - cutout of Radio (entire iDrive) and AC for a second. When it all bounces back I get an array of errors.

Car is in the dealership now... Will let everyone know what the problem is, but even money is on the alternator.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
301 Posts
Ok I have now started getting the same problem - cutout of Radio (entire iDrive) and AC for a second. When it all bounces back I get an array of errors.

Car is in the dealership now... Will let everyone know what the problem is, but even money is on the alternator.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I've got the same issue as you guys. It happened a couple of weeks ago. My speakers sounded like they were blowing out, then my idrive shutdown then i got a whole bunch of error messages (DSC, ABS, Power Steeering, etc..). For me what I thought was wrong was that my battery was low (this happens I think when I have my dog in the car and she sets of the alarm multiple times), but anyways i hooked up my car to a trickle charger over the weekend and I haven't had any issues so far.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just picked up my car from the dealership. Confirmed that it was the alternator in my case.

Holy ****, whatever the dealership did to diagnose the issue has made it worse. Every system in the car, including DSC and power steering, was cutting off on the way home. Not good.

Have to wait at least a week for a new alternator. Will not be driving the car in the meantime.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Happened to me a while back. I believe I have a thread or posted on a similar thread.
HUD, AC, Stereo would blink off then come back on sometimes I would get codes "Christmas tree style"

Ended up being the voltage regulator on the alternator. Decided to change it out with one from autozone (OEM) that comes with a lifetime warranty (peace of mind)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm covered by an AutoSure mechanical warranty, so my exposure is only the first NZD$500 of parts & labour. They seem to be coming to the party this time.

If I had been willing to hunt around I may have found somewhere cheaper, but for the sake of resale & peace of mind I wanted to keep to OEM parts.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Damn thing just did it again today, 82 degrees outside, stereo was on medium volume, AC was on medium. Other than that all is running fine. Pulled codes with code reader and nothing showed up.

·
Registered
53 Posts
OK so my Alternator is in, and it has made a substantial difference in places I didn't expect.

Previously the clutch really seemed to take a long time to seek & apply, especially when on 'auto' mode. Now it's a much faster, smoother process. Throttle response is also more even. It's a hard difference to quantify - basically everything in the car is running a little bit better.

No more radio cutouts or warning lights.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My car actually did that a few times last summer...and it was always when it was hot out and had it in M-mode and had just got done driving harder than normal. So weird bc it hasn't done it at all in almost 10 months. *knock on wood*

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My car actually did that a few times last summer...and it was always when it was hot out and had it in M-mode and had just got done driving harder than normal. So weird bc it hasn't done it at all in almost 10 months. *knock on wood*
I know there used to be a way to display the charging info on the info display. Is there any Easter Egg on what I can display on the E60 to check the charging since we do not have a gauge for that? My Jag can do it, my last E46 had a test mode that showed all sorts of stuff.
Was 81 degrees today, driving it hard in M Mode and did not have an issue with the AC on stronger than normal fan speed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts