BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't an M5 specific issue, but thought I'd ask in case people have any knowledge of this issue...

I own an early 2009 E60 530i with the N52K engine, hot weather package and 49k miles. It's my 8th or 9th BMW and I'm encountering an annoying issue which has never come up on any previous cars I've owned

When turning the steering wheel either left or right, I hear a groaning noise -- not on small movements but on the larger sweeps of the wheel that you would make when parking, for example

I thought this could be an issue with lubrication of the steering column, however the groan continues for a couple of seconds after I have stopped turning the steering wheel, at which time the groan fades away

There are no major squeaking or scraping noises coming from anywhere

I started to notice this noise after getting the car back from the dealer recently (it had gone in to have the front anti roll bar drop links replaced and the front and rear windscreen rubber seals changed)

I have the usual very slight leakage from the power steering fluid cap that I have had on all previous BMWs including my old M5, but I do not think this is the cause of this problem

The car is recently out of warranty

Any insights?

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
1 - 2 of 2 Posts