BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm having a problem with the SMG on a 2006 M5 w/ 54,000 miles.

Started fine this afternoon drove 10/12 miles stopped for fuel and when I restarted I got the Yellow Cog with "Trans Malfunction". The car started to buck (almost felt like fuel cut) it will shift manually through all gears but only to 5 or 6 in auto, there is also a bit of clunk.

Code: 510B in smg module <<< Input Shaft Speed
Code: 2B10 in DME <<< SMG Module Monitoring

Note *** I unplugged the MAF's and drove the car... I got engine and transmission warnings but no bucking. < I read that a bad MAF could cause the TM warning. I looked at the MAF singles in a live stream and they looked to be equal and reading.

Any input would be very much appreciated!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention than that the traction control, edc, variable engagement and power buttons function normally.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Hello,

I'm having a problem with the SMG on a 2006 M5 w/ 54,000 miles.

Started fine this afternoon drove 10/12 miles stopped for fuel and when I restarted I got the Yellow Cog with "Trans Malfunction". The car started to buck (almost felt like fuel cut) it will shift manually through all gears but only to 5 or 6 in auto, there is also a bit of clunk.

Code: 510B in smg module <<< Input Shaft Speed

Code: 2B10 in DME <<< SMG Module Monitoring

Note *** I unplugged the MAF's and drove the car... I got engine and transmission warnings but no bucking. < I read that a bad MAF could cause the TM warning. I looked at the MAF singles in a live stream and they looked to be equal and reading.

Any input would be very much appreciated!

That is a sign of a new clutch is needed.... Miles aren’t bad on car but I’m assuming you are not the original owner. The bucking and kick you feel is the clutch not engaging properly.

Oem clutch is good on some cars up to 50j depending on how bad the previous owner beat it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
723 Posts
I forgot to mention than that the traction control, edc, variable engagement and power buttons function normally.

OR possibly you need a sensor for the smg which can also cause the same issue as they go bad as well. As this monitors the gears and how it engages

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
That 2B10 code is a rare one. There was someone here recently who had that and it turned out to be the actual SMG computer.

What are you reading the error codes with? If BMW software, you should be able to get additional details that were logged at the time of the fault such as computer module voltage (not batt voltage), RPM, etc. These will help in narrowing it down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm using Autel Maxisys to scan.

I tried to reset clutch adaptions today and the car completed the first 2 steps but would fail the "set clutch tip in" step every time.... now the car is stuck in "clutch adaption learning mode on the dash with alternating red and yellow cogs but seems to be less jerky. I pretty sure the clutch position sensor is the cause.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I'm using Autel Maxisys to scan.

I tried to reset clutch adaptions today and the car completed the first 2 steps but would fail the "set clutch tip in" step every time.... now the car is stuck in "clutch adaption learning mode on the dash with alternating red and yellow cogs but seems to be less jerky. I pretty sure the clutch position sensor is the cause.

Did you get a “new clutch position sensor” when you changed the clutch? Normally it’s highly recommended that you do.

Def sounds like the sensor or you installed clutch wrong

·
Registered
277 Posts
Did you get a “new clutch position sensor” when you changed the clutch? Normally it’s highly recommended that you do.

Def sounds like the sensor or you installed clutch wrong

Clutch wrong - How is that even possible ?
Also a clutch can last a lot longer than 50k. My first M5 car -the clutch lasted 89k.

OP car is showing signs of a failing clutch.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
If you don't have the 510D and 510E, it's not the PLCD.

If the "kiss point" adaptation fails, it's usually because "clutch disengagement position outside tolerance" and is indicative of the slave cylinder output shaft having disconnected from the operating piston. Need to know for sure thats the error though. INPA or ISTA/D will tell you more info when it fails adaptation.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Clutch wrong - How is that even possible ?
Also a clutch can last a lot longer than 50k. My first M5 car -the clutch lasted 89k.

OP car is showing signs of a failing clutch.

It’s very much possible.... depending if you changed flywheel too.... I’ve posted similar situation I had with installing the new flywheel and clutch from SPEC

Do you see the X? Well when it on and lined up it should of lined up where the check mark is at which is the the proper hole/dial in order for smg and INsta to read properly for bleeding and smooth idle. For face value it’s went on perfectly fine BUT it was off one dial and threw the entire car off and all type of codes. So it’s possible

And yes a stock can last longer depending on how hard it was driven. There are guys on this forum that changed their clutch at 40k miles cause it shot. Anything is possible sir with the S85......

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I should given more details...

I did not replace the clutch I only attempted to clear and reset the clutch adaptions. < I wish I had not done this and heres why.

1) The car is much worse now and stuck in "Clutch Adaption Learning Mode" flips between yellow and red cogs.

2) The check engine light is now on with all sorts of crazy lights because "clutch learning mode" cut CAN singles to DME from SMG computer.

3) There are all sorts of SMG codes now. (I started with 2) 4F62, 4F66, 510B, 520,A

When I try to set the "kiss point" it clunks and fails instantly.

Car still shifts through all gears in manual but only to 6 in auto. sounds like clutch engages and disengages over and over.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I should given more details...

I did not replace the clutch I only attempted to clear and reset the clutch adaptions. < I wish I had not done this and heres why.

1) The car is much worse now and stuck in "Clutch Adaption Learning Mode" flips between yellow and red cogs.

2) The check engine light is now on with all sorts of crazy lights because "clutch learning mode" cut CAN singles to DME from SMG computer.

3) There are all sorts of SMG codes now. (I started with 2) 4F62, 4F66, 510B, 520,A

When I try to set the "kiss point" it clunks and fails instantly.

Car still shifts through all gears in manual but only to 6 in auto. sounds like clutch engages and disengages over and over.

Damn...... that really sucks...... wonder if your throw out bearing went bad? That’s common when trying to adapt and learn. Happened to me too

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Damn...... that really sucks...... wonder if your throw out bearing went bad? That’s common when trying to adapt and learn. Happened to me too

I fear the transmission may have to come out...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts