BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a very strange problem with my 01 M5. When I accelerate quickly in gears 3 and above the rpm's rise rapidly, like you were holding in the clutch, but the car isn't going any faster. It's fine if I accelerate slowly. It's only when I punch it and it happens around 4500 RPMS. It started right after I mistakenly downshifted from 4th to 2nd. Not sure if that did it or it was already there. There are no warning lights on. Anyone have any ideas??? I can't get into the dealer until next Wednesday. Thanks.
Ed

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Your clutch is slipping...a common M5 annoyance. Do a search for it and you'll find a ton of posts about similar problems. I had mine replaced under warranty...you may need to do the same.
:cheers:

·
Banned
300 Posts
I just started having the same problem....we'll see if BMW replaces it...if not say hello to UUC stage 3

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yup, like the others said it is your clutch. I just had mine replaced last week with the UUC Stage 2 Kit, if you can afford this option, it's worth it.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
2nd 3rd and 4th that. It's a bad clutch. Dealer replaced mine under warranty.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
ard said:
Uh, I'd leave that part out of the explanation when I spoke to the dealer....

A
LOL, exactly my thoughts on the matter!
If there ever is a rise in rpm's without a rise in car speed, you have a clutch issue. Unless that is if you are using the power to spin the back tires... :haha:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all. I appreciate your input and yes I'm sure it is a clutch problem. My M5 is a certified 01 with 54,000 miles. Do you think this will be covered under warranty or is this a wear issue? Thanks again for all the replys.

Ed

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
It depends on when it was last replaced, and more likely the mood of your SA. If he feels like replacing it, he will, but I think you'll just have to go down and find out. If he wont replace it, it might be time to pony up a few extra dollars for a good UUC setup, as even though it will cost more money than an OEM clutch, you'll save money in the end by not replacing it like crazy.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
XrayMD said:
.a common M5 annoyance.
So what is a "problem" in your book?

:1: :1:

(I know, a figure of speech- but it struck me funny.)

A

PS 54k on the original clutch is pretty good- that MAY factor into the need for a UUC set up... if your driving would only give you 20k on the clutch, the UUC may be worthwhile... but getting another 50k out of a stock might make it a harder decision....

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
So what is a "problem" in your book?
Well, it would have become a "problem" had my Service Advisor" given me a hard time about replacing it under warranty. :haha:

Fortunately, he has been very helpful and I had no problem getting it replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
bayerischemotor said:
Lot of clutch problems in the US...

Very little in Europe... Atleast what I know of.
Well THAT'S interesting...

Nature or Nurture?

Genetics or Environment?

US drivers used to automatics OR Different Builds in EU?

Hmmmm

·
Banned
300 Posts
I did some research on M5 clutches and the SPEC stage 3, 9.5" billet plate clutch kit

(#sbd633) with the lightened dual mass flywheel (#sb63dml) is the best setup with no rattling

noise....all for $1268+install....no dealers but SPEC directly carries this model

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
ard said:
Well THAT'S interesting...

Nature or Nurture?

Genetics or Environment?

US drivers used to automatics OR Different Builds in EU?

Hmmmm
Maybe you just drive harder?

Or could there be any truth to the automatic gearbox use? hmmm

No it's gotta be genetics :noSMG:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts