BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It started about a week ago...

I would drive to / from work and when I would turn off the car, I get the "Bong Bong" "Check Engine Oil Level. I was not too alarmed since I usually get nagged for oil once between oil changes and I was about due. So I threw in a quart and called it a day. 2 days later, I get the bong again. Hmm. OK. So I do the standard oil check proceeder and I am just a hair below the upper limit level. But I put in 1/4 quart anyway just to top it off.

It was fine the next day. But after that, I got the bong again... However this time, I noticed that my oil temp needle was pegged out at the maximum!!! My thermo temp was normal. I went to lunch and watched everything. Everything was normal, but on the way home, the temp maxed out again.

I have been keeping an eye on things and trying to note a pattern. Nothing really emerged except that this only happens after I am fully warmed up. It does not happen right away, and some times it does not happen at all. One time, I caught it in motion.... I was fully warmed up and the oil temp needle was at one dot to the left. Pretty normal. Then all of a sudden, it slammed all the way to the max. It stayed there for a few miles, and then dropped back to normal.

The other pattern that I noticed was that I only get the Oil Level warning when I turn off the car while the temp gauge is maxed out. There are no complaints If it drops down to normal before I turn it off.

Next steps.....

Scan for codes and see if I can access the secret menu to see what is there. Is there any oil temp readings? Oil flow? etc?

I will probably do a complete oil and filter change this weekend too just for good measure.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
the oil temp, and oil level sensor are one in the same. That is my best guess. if you scanned the DME (with a BMW-specific scanner, not OBD2 scanner), you'd likely get some sort of thermal-oil-sensor fault.

the temp pegs at maximum as a default so that it alerts you to their being something wrong.

scanners that will read that code:

carsoft v6.5
GT1/DIS
INPA/EDIABAS
pa-soft
Peake
etc.
etc.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Reactions: mfizzlenyc

·
Registered
12,935 Posts
Read the real time oil temp. Secret menu, either #7 or #16 ( I believe the latter).
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I'm in the same boat as OP, 2 days ago I saw my needle pegged to the max, scanned the code got 2C for Oil Thermal level, also has a warning on my dash to check oil level, but that may be consistent to my oil service not reset from the last time i did a oil change I was down to 1 green light, Checked the oil it was the normal a bit had beeen burned so addded a qt. Looks like i will be replacing the sensor.

·
Registered
79 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had the EXACT same thing happening to me as the first post. I have a 2001 m5, Tracked it down to the Oil Level Sender. Turns out the temp and the level sensor is on the same part. I bought a replacement for about $100 at bavauto.com part number was: Part # : 12 61 7 508 003 and it comes with the gasket that seals it to the bottom of the oil pan. If you can change your own oil you can do this fix yourself. It's bolted into the bottom of the oil pan. Undo 3 bolts and it's out.

If it helps you.. Once I found out what the issue was and realized it wasn't hurting anything I just waited until my next oil change to fix it, since you will need to drain $80 in oil to change it out.

Jason

1 - 8 of 8 Posts