BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says I’m getting a strange noise on low speed driving. Between 10-60mph otherwise no noise. It doesn’t sound like a wheel bearing noise more of a tin can with something bouncing around in it. I immediately thought it was my differential so I pro actively Changed the fluid and checked the gears and all looks fine. The noise isn’t always present sometimes I don’t hear it at all. Car is smg and otherwise drives perfectly fine

·
Registered
90 Posts
i think im having the same noise you are talking about. I didnt notice until I drove with windows down next to a barrier. Im getting the fittings for my exhaust checked out also going to go over all the screws for my belly pan since i recently changed the thrust arms. Also going to check my brake shields since ive had something similar before with that. I dont think it would be something major but if i track it down ill let you know

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I’m gonna get under the car tomorrow and check everything out also. First thing I checked was if all my bolts were in and also if I ran over a nail and nothing. The one thing that I noticed is I hear it under light throttle and right when I let off the throttle. Throw it into neutral and almost non existent

·
Registered
2006 M5
38 Posts
Just replaced my struts with Bilstein EDCs and noticed that the 4 rivets on one of the metal heat shields on the inside of the front wheel liner had broken off causing the heat shield to rattle around between the header and belly pan.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I think you are on the right track checking the shields under the car. There are tons of screws and shields that could rattle. My car was missing a boat load of screws when I got it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So spending some time analyzing the underside of my car I think I figured it out. I’m missing my entire smg belly pan which is causing my metal heat shields to flap around. My question is do you think it’s possible it some how fell off while driving? I recently took the car to the shop to do do a diff fluid drain and refill and the noise was present then also. But before then I swapped out my power steering pump and it was definitely there.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All the screws are still there and in tact. Just connected to the heat shields. Where’s the best place to buy this? It’s 400 and up on eBay or anywhere else.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Just replaced my struts with Bilstein EDCs and noticed that the 4 rivets on one of the metal heat shields on the inside of the front wheel liner had broken off causing the heat shield to rattle around between the header and belly pan.
Yes I’ve noticed that those rivets fall off as well in a few of mine, but this is easily remedied with standard aluminum rivets that you can find at a hardware store.

·
Registered
705 Posts
All the screws are still there and in tact. Just connected to the heat shields. Where’s the best place to buy this? It’s 400 and up on eBay or anywhere else.
That’s a very large panel (I call it the pork chop) that also covers essentially the trans all the way up to the rear edge of the trapezoidal aluminum plate with the 2 big holes. You’re also suppose to a have a plastic panel that covers that Al plate going up all the way to the bumper. That has to be removed to change the front oil drain. So what happens is that the quick oil guys (or any one in knowledgeable or lazy) won’t know it’s there. And if they do, it’s easily damaged when it hangs by one or a few the fasteners when taking it off. 10-15 years of this unfortunately results in damaged and missing panels. At some point you just can’t put back on the old one. I’d love to see how a low miles M5 looks like on these parts.
I’ve asked a few dismantlers about these parts and they also say that they don’t have them since they’re always torn or broken.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts