BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I just wanted to say this forum is great, and has been very helpful with my new 2000 M5!!

I am trying to figure out the navigation system in my car. It seems that something is up with the GPS signal. The system has no idea where I am located and was saying I was approximately 200 miles east of my actual location. Do you have to configure the system before it knows where you are located? I have the MK II system, and don't mind the 4:3 screen. The software, however, is very slow! I haven't been able to find a definite answer that I can upgrade to the MK III software without upgrading the screen...Any help is greatly appreciated.

I'm sure I'll be a frequent visitor to this site now.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
First off, I just wanted to say this forum is great, and has been very helpful with my new 2000 M5!!

I am trying to figure out the navigation system in my car. It seems that something is up with the GPS signal. The system has no idea where I am located and was saying I was approximately 200 miles east of my actual location. Do you have to configure the system before it knows where you are located? I have the MK II system, and don't mind the 4:3 screen. The software, however, is very slow! I haven't been able to find a definite answer that I can upgrade to the MK III software without upgrading the screen...Any help is greatly appreciated.

I'm sure I'll be a frequent visitor to this site now.
MK4>>MK3>>MK2

You don't need to confidure the GPS, but it can get lost if you are in and amongst tall buildings for a long period or ship the car. Most likely you have a bad antenna or bad gimble. Easiest way to check is to get a cheap GPS antenna, plug it into your gimble (the box behind your nav computer) in place of the stock antenna, and see if the problem goes away after a nice drive in an open area.

If it does, you need a new antenna. If it doesn't, you need a new gimble. Or, better yet, a MK3 or MK4 since those use an internal GPS tuner instead of an external one.

d-

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MK4>>MK3>>MK2

You don't need to confidure the GPS, but it can get lost if you are in and amongst tall buildings for a long period or ship the car. Most likely you have a bad antenna or bad gimble. Easiest way to check is to get a cheap GPS antenna, plug it into your gimble (the box behind your nav computer) in place of the stock antenna, and see if the problem goes away after a nice drive in an open area.

If it does, you need a new antenna. If it doesn't, you need a new gimble. Or, better yet, a MK3 or MK4 since those use an internal GPS tuner instead of an external one.

d-
Thanks for the thorough response. I noticed in the menu there is a section where you can plug in car location. When I do that, the GPS seems to be much closer to my actual location. I am not near or around tall buildings, so I'm pretty sure that is not the issue. How much is a MKIII nav system? Can I keep my MKII 4:3 screen?

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Thanks for the thorough response. I noticed in the menu there is a section where you can plug in car location. When I do that, the GPS seems to be much closer to my actual location. I am not near or around tall buildings, so I'm pretty sure that is not the issue. How much is a MKIII nav system? Can I keep my MKII 4:3 screen?
Plugging in your location will help temporarily, but the car will eventually lose track of you again if it doesn't have satellites to help. Have you tried checking to see how many satellites you are picking up? Either A) look at the pic of the satellite in the upper right of the nav screen itself and count the green dots (should be 7-8), or B) go the diagnostic menu (MENU, Settings, then press and HOLD MENU again for 7-8 seconds).

A used MK3 can be had for about $200. A used MK4 will run about $700-800. A new one of either is in the $1200-2000 range.

I got my MK4 on Ebay for $650 and sold my MK3 for $200...

d-

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so i found a mkIII for 350 in the classifieds. I am wondering if I can keep my 4:3 screen, and use the mkIII navigation unit. Any ideas??

·
Registered
427 Posts
so i found a mkIII for 350 in the classifieds. I am wondering if I can keep my 4:3 screen, and use the mkIII navigation unit. Any ideas??
You can. I believe you can even use a MKIV on the 4:3 screen. Personally, I'd go with MKIV simply due to the faster software and DVD-based maps. But both should work with your setup.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just FYI,

I bought a used MKII on Ebay and I had the same problem, only it thought I was Chicago, and I live in FL.

I had to re-flash the nav firmware and it works like a charm!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Sounds like the GPS is dead or the antenna has become disconnected. I just so happen to have a MK II, GPS unit, and a MK IV available for sale. PM if interested.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts