BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Really strange one. I have the MK4 DVD based Nav unit here in the UK with the most recent firmware. I noticed a couple of days back when I used the Nav that it doesn't give me an arrival time at destination. Everything else works fine, guidance, distance, route etc. but it just doesn't show my arrival time. Anyone have a solution?

Also, when I turn speed cameras off on the V32 firmware, the language turns to French? Any ideas on that as well?

Thanks. I'm confused at the moment.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
You're using a modified version of the Nav firmware and the Nav computer needs re-coding. Get a copy of NavCoder and a resler interface or some other BMW coding software.

There is a coding option for display of the arrival time, if the option is wrong then you will not see it, just -:--.

The speed camera alert mod uses two languages, one with the announcement and one with silence, you need to code the Nav for UK and US English, yours is coded for UK and French, so turning the alerts off sets everything to French.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that. Can anyone recode or is it better left to an expert? Is it costly to get Navcoder and the interface? Damn I bought the DVD nav unit from ebay thinking that would do the trick just but clearly not. I also bought the latest firmware and map for my wife's 08 X3 and while her arrival time is ok, hers also switches to French if I turn the speed cameras off. All very strange behaviour.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
For doing this, NavCoder is free. A Resler iBus interface can be bought fully assembled for €40 IBUS Interface order page plus €6 shipping. Alternatively find a board member in your area who has one and can recode the Nav for you, I have one but don't come to London often, nearest I frequently get is Wiltshire.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For doing this, NavCoder is free. A Resler iBus interface can be bought fully assembled for €40 IBUS Interface order page plus €6 shipping. Alternatively find a board member in your area who has one and can recode the Nav for you, I have one but don't come to London often, nearest I frequently get is Wiltshire.
Thanks Richard, you've been really helpful. Is it idiot proof to do the recoding?

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Setting the arrival time mode is very simple. Setting the country codes (the MK IV supports 3) requires you to have the Nav software CD - which must be the modified one if you want to keep the camera alert capability.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
If my unit loses the current date and time, then the arrival time will show __:__

So is the date and time set in the nav unit? Check that first....

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
As Richard says it just needs to be re-coded. It took me nearly a year to get my dealer to do what I wanted, but got there in the end! It was really irritating, and I really like the ETA function and always try and beat it!

cheers

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi, have been crazy busy and not been out in the M5. The problem is still there. Anyone in the London or South East that has the right gear so that I can recode the nav unit? I am happy to travel or meet someone half way and cover any travelling expenses. I just can't see myself getting anywhere with a dealer. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
211 Posts
anissut - I have the same issue regarding the language, when i switch on camreas it all goes french

My TV tuner and on Dash OBC are also in french. Not a biggy but i want to get it sorted. I will buy the interface if thats what i need to fix it (just waiting on RichardP to confirm)

I am in kent and you are welcome to come down once i have it all

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
As above, Nav recode required.

You should remember that most of the people that sell this Speed Camera hacked OS have no idea how it works. They just downloaded a copy from one of the forum links and sell it (or load it onto the Mk IV Nav) without knowing about or doing the important stuff like recoding the Nav languages to make it actually work!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hi ,

Just curious, whats french for " Govt revenue collecting machine up ahead " ..........?

Regards

Nat.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Hi annisut,

I had the exact same problem with mine, and as RichardP says, recoding it to the car should fix it.

I also rolled back to V31 sotware after a number of reports of a corrupt version of V32 floating around, that (coincidentally enough) made the system behave strangely if you had the camera alert turned on.....

I can do this for you with my INPA if you like...? And I have a stable version 31 CD too, with colour splash screen (attached) as a Brucey bonus! I'm down in Battersea...... PM me if you want to meet up.

Cheers,
Barney.

PS: I found the camera alert a complete waste of time anyway, as it would alert you to cameras on the opposite carriagway, or ones that were just 'nearby' down slip roads and stuff. It'd go off so regularly it drove me nuts in the end. I'm glad to have got rid of it!

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hi Barney,

Any chance i could have a copy of your V31. I just upgraded yesterday to MkIV, but the camera alerts are all ready doing my head in !

Tried turning them off but as mentioned here everything went 'ooh la la'

Pete

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
The camera alert hack is worse than useless IMO.

As Barney says, it will alert you to cameras that are just nearby ('nearby' can be quite a long way at 70mph on a motorway) or on the opposite side of the road. If you have the 'Mobile' speed trap included on the map disc then the alert goes off all the time.

Worse still, it crashes the Nav when you get too many TMC messages.

Best stick with the standard software, maybe with modified splash screen and maybe Night Mode colours if you like that sort of thing.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Has anyone got a standard (latest) software CD for a MKIV (M splash would be a bonus) that they could let me have a lend off? The camera alerts on my custom V32 software is driving me nuts.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts