BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
about a week ago, someone posted that their order was advanced from a build week of 42 to 40 and then a few others replied that the same thing happened to them, got moved closer to the front of the line from build week of 43 to 41 and other similar 2-week "upgrades" done by bmw, not by the dealer.

Then a few days later someone else posted that their build week was downgraded from week 43 to 47 or something like that which is in stark contrast to the events happening from the other thread.

Well today, my dealer just informed me that my build week 41 order has now become a build week 43 car. Curious as to what's going on, I called bmw customer relations and they explained that orders get shuffled around prior to entering production and that it was commonplace but rest assured that if a build week gets rescheduled once, it usually stays there and should not be delayed any more.

I'm not upset about this at all but rather just very interested as to how this whole system works... how the production queue at the factory works and what is given priority. Perhaps it has something to do with what options were chosen? Or maybe it correlates with the fact that the faster M5's take longer to build? ;) My vehicle inquiry report as printed out by my dealer shows "Priority 1 - Customer Sold" so I would assume this is near if not the top priority... so why are some being moved up 2 weeks while others being delayed 2 weeks as if there was some sort of build week swap. Weird.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
537 Posts
it could be a function of suppliers and parts on hand.

for example if the HUD supplier has fallen behind they will move the cars w/o hud to the front.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
431 Posts
when we sold gps units to the Spartenburg factory for the "back then" z3's and z4's, they stopped production for 2 days due to: They had not got the shipment of first aid kits. On the line there is 1 person that has a pile of first aid kits,"100 or so" and he just puts them in. Well all cars must have them, so something like that could delay a car. I say give me my car and mail the kit too me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,810 Posts
masmole said:
My vehicle inquiry report as printed out by my dealer shows "Priority 1 - Customer Sold" so I would assume this is near if not the top priority... so why are some being moved up 2 weeks while others being delayed 2 weeks as if there was some sort of build week swap. Weird.
Keep one thing in mind... the whole P1 thing seems to be misunderstood alot on the board. All customer ordered cars are P1! Unless the buyer specifically asked to not have it P1 (which I did with the X5 I have on order). So, since 99.9% of M5s being built are customer ordered cars... your P1 doesn't mean much in the big picture, becauses there are hundreds/thousands of other P1 M5s in line with you.

Hate to break it to you.. but your no nearer the top priority than anyone else on the board.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
703 Posts
Dan, just curious, why P4 on the X5?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
vndkshn said:
Keep one thing in mind... the whole P1 thing seems to be misunderstood alot on the board. All customer ordered cars are P1! Unless the buyer specifically asked to not have it P1 (which I did with the X5 I have on order). So, since 99.9% of M5s being built are customer ordered cars... your P1 doesn't mean much in the big picture, becauses there are hundreds/thousands of other P1 M5s in line with you.

Hate to break it to you.. but your no nearer the top priority than anyone else on the board.
I wasn't implying that I would have a higher priority. I'm well aware that P1 is what almost everyone has including most everyone on this board. I was just trying to find cause for how all these build slots are being shuffled around... perhaps some dealers have "connections" or some other way of expediting priority beyond P1? or as I mentioned, perhaps it is due to what options I have chosen and the availability of parts specific to those options.

Anyhow, build week 43 is nothing to complain about. Actually works better for me since I will likely be out of town early december :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
think it has do with the color choice of the car? anyone know if they have different booths for the different colors?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,810 Posts
desualt said:
Dan, just curious, why P4 on the X5?
Had I ordered it and went P1 it would have been built the very next production week (ordered on Sat) starting on Monday. This would have put my pickup in 2 to 3 weeks. These few weeks have had alot of other more important things scheduled... so I didn't want to have to break a schedule and I really wanted to do the Performance Center delivery again. The earliest I can do it is next month, and they aren't too happy about that! In fact, they want to do it next Friday (21st) but we said there was no way (will be in Texas dealing with issues on the new house)... so, they are going to have to hold the car for a couple of extra weeks. Its funny really, my response (which the dealer forwarded to the PC apparently) is that we specifiied P4 build, so the vehicle wouldn't be built until mid-Oct, which would mean there was 1 to 2 weeks between completion of build and our pickup... their own actions (bumping it to build this previous week) is all on them, not me, so why should my plans change on their whim?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,810 Posts
dyc1077 said:
think it has do with the color choice of the car? anyone know if they have different booths for the different colors?
They do not have different booths, and I was told they paint in batches... makes sense really... why bounce back and forth? Means the paint machines have to be cleaned alot more, which wastes materials. But I doubt it would explain two to three weeks... part availability is a likely answer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
703 Posts
vndkshn said:
Had I ordered it and went P1 it would have been built the very next production week (ordered on Sat) starting on Monday. This would have put my pickup in 2 to 3 weeks. These few weeks have had alot of other more important things scheduled... so I didn't want to have to break a schedule and I really wanted to do the Performance Center delivery again. The earliest I can do it is next month, and they aren't too happy about that! In fact, they want to do it next Friday (21st) but we said there was no way (will be in Texas dealing with issues on the new house)... so, they are going to have to hold the car for a couple of extra weeks. Its funny really, my response (which the dealer forwarded to the PC apparently) is that we specifiied P4 build, so the vehicle wouldn't be built until mid-Oct, which would mean there was 1 to 2 weeks between completion of build and our pickup... their own actions (bumping it to build this previous week) is all on them, not me, so why should my plans change on their whim?
understood, make sense.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top