BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The M5 is making a strange noise and I am hoping to get some help with it. The noise sounds like a bad wheel bearing in the front left wheel but it is NOT! It is engine and RPM related. The noise is a groaning type wha wha wha noise and comes on around 2K RPM's. NO CEL, no loss of power. The only recent work was a fresh belt change by my mech and I fixed the oil filter canister with new mounts. It is def coming from the left side of the engine, maybe a bad pulley? Any ideas guys? Thanks.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Sure it is a 'wha wha' and not more waa waa?

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
The M5 is making a strange noise and I am hoping to get some help with it. The noise sounds like a bad wheel bearing in the front left wheel but it is NOT! It is engine and RPM related. The noise is a groaning type wha wha wha noise and comes on around 2K RPM's. NO CEL, no loss of power. The only recent work was a fresh belt change by my mech and I fixed the oil filter canister with new mounts. It is def coming from the left side of the engine, maybe a bad pulley? Any ideas guys? Thanks.
how did you "fix" the oil filter housing? 99% sure this is the source of the noise. disconnect the ground wire and completely remove the housing from its mounting bracket. let it just lay down against the body, now check and see if the noise is still there and report back.

·
Registered
517 Posts
+1 on what Nightkrawler said!! 99.5% sure it is the oil filter housing. I just went through (actually, still dealing with) this same issue, a whine that comes on at 2k. It started after I replaced my oil filter housing mounts. After removing the M6 bolts from my mount DIY and just letting the housing sit by itself, the noise is gone.

check out these other recent posts on it:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/163668-gearbox-whine.html

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/132848-anyone-solve-3k-vibration-16.html

good luck,
SP

1 - 5 of 5 Posts