BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Gents,

I have a 2000 M5 which has now covered 80k miles.I have had it for two years now.I purchased the car from a BMW dealer near to me and they have serviced it and maintained it to date. The car runs stronger and faster now than it ever has since it's Inspection 2 and new MAFS.

Well after getting the performance up to scratch I now have this very strange drivetrain noise that my BMW dealer cannot pin down.

The noise comes from under the center armrest area.It sounds like metal on metal scuffing in a circular motion and also squeaks in low and high pitch. When I stop the car the noise stops.When I depress the clutch the noise is still there. When I coast in neutral with the clutch depressed the noise is still there.:(

It sounds to me like the small final drive bearing in the box is worn or could it be the propshaft?

Also the noise only comes after about 10 miles of driving at about 50mph.:confused:

Has anybody had this problem?

Cheers.:typing:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
I'd suspect the Guibo. Perhaps when the dealer inspected it the worn/torn bolt section was at "top dead center" although it seems they should have caught it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
kcdoyle said:
I'd suspect the Guibo. Perhaps when the dealer inspected it the worn/torn bolt section was at "top dead center" although it seems they should have caught it.
And just what is a Guibo?:3: Are you referring to the universal joint halfway down the drive shaft, in the center mount?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,532 Posts
kcdoyle said:
I'd suspect the Guibo. Perhaps when the dealer inspected it the worn/torn bolt section was at "top dead center" although it seems they should have caught it.
I agree with kcdoyle. Often when you have something like this that changes or appears as the car is driven some to warm up, it is at least likely to be the Guibo (or at least has been in my past 33 years of BMW experiences). Inspection of the coupling should usually shows that it is in need of replacement (cracked rubber, play in bushing holes, etc.), but it is a rather inexpensive part to simply replace. Rule it out as the problem first. The location of the noise exactly fits the Guibo location too in your case.

The "Guibo" is a "flex-disc" coupling between the transmission and the driveshaft.

Chuck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
[url="http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:qGo0EcOxpucJ:http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticles/E36-Guibo/pic20.jpg"]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:qGo0EcOxpucJ:http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticles/E36-Guibo/pic20.jpg[/url]

This will show you roughly where it is and what it looks like. (although I believe this is off of an E34)

It is a hard rubber "doughnut", the purpose of which is to absorb some of the "shock" of the drive train. It will "give" a little when rotational forces are high enough. A "broken" guibo can be difficult to see. You have to get the car on a lift, and slowly rotate the driveshaft and look for a small tears around one or more of the bolts.

Here is a picture of how difficult it can be to see the cracks.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
CSBM5 said:
I agree with kcdoyle. Often when you have something like this that changes or appears as the car is driven some to warm up, it is at least likely to be the Guibo (or at least has been in my past 33 years of BMW experiences). Inspection of the coupling should usually shows that it is in need of replacement (cracked rubber, play in bushing holes, etc.), but it is a rather inexpensive part to simply replace. Rule it out as the problem first. The location of the noise exactly fits the Guibo location too in your case.

The "Guibo" is a "flex-disc" coupling between the transmission and the driveshaft.

Chuck
Chuck:

Thanks, I think I see it. Item # 2 in the attached PDF?

You also state that it is a rather inexpensive part to replace, but the context of the sentence seems to indicate that you meant expensive. Is this correct?
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,532 Posts
No, the part itself shouldn't be too much. They used to cost less than $100. I don't know about labor though on the M5. The exhaust may have to be dropped, but at that point it should be accessible. Someone here who has done work on the M5 can easily answer this part.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
M5XDW said:
Hello Gents,

I have a 2000 M5 which has now covered 80k miles.I have had it for two years now.I purchased the car from a BMW dealer near to me and they have serviced it and maintained it to date. The car runs stronger and faster now than it ever has since it's Inspection 2 and new MAFS.

Well after getting the performance up to scratch I now have this very strange drivetrain noise that my BMW dealer cannot pin down.

The noise comes from under the center armrest area.It sounds like metal on metal scuffing in a circular motion and also squeaks in low and high pitch. When I stop the car the noise stops.When I depress the clutch the noise is still there. When I coast in neutral with the clutch depressed the noise is still there.:(

It sounds to me like the small final drive bearing in the box is worn or could it be the propshaft?

Also the noise only comes after about 10 miles of driving at about 50mph.:confused:

Has anybody had this problem?

Cheers.:typing:
I have seem to have a similar issue with my 2000 M5 but I'm not sure. I get a squeaking noise, like it's coming from a belt or something, and it comes from under the center armrest as well. It also usually doesn't matter whether I'm in gear or not and mostly happens when it's cold. Sometimes it's there, sometime's not but it's become more frequent lately. Does this sound like it's due to the same thing?

Thanks,
Hugh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
hughallen99 said:
It mostly happens when it's cold.
Hugh
I'm no expert but it seems reasonable that as the rubber material heats up, there would be more flex and consequently less noise when cold and as hard as a hockey puck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
kcdoyle said:
I'm no expert but it seems reasonable that as the rubber material heats up, there would be more flex and consequently less noise when cold and as hard as a hockey puck

Sorry, I should have clarified. It happens after the car warms up on cold nights but not on warmer days/nights.

Hugh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
kcdoyle said:
I'm no expert but it seems reasonable that as the rubber material heats up, there would be more flex and consequently less noise when cold and as hard as a hockey puck
Thanks for all your input guys. I thought it could be propshaft but discounted it because of the metal on metal bearing type noise. When it first started though it sounded like a fan belt slipping.i.e loud screaching noise. I sometimes get the high and low pitch screaching,but also the metal on metal noise as well.

BMW called me today to say they cannot duplicate the noise and would I take my car home!! I said no, keep driving it till you hear it.:3:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hughallen99 said:
I have seem to have a similar issue with my 2000 M5 but I'm not sure. I get a squeaking noise, like it's coming from a belt or something, and it comes from under the center armrest as well. It also usually doesn't matter whether I'm in gear or not and mostly happens when it's cold. Sometimes it's there, sometime's not but it's become more frequent lately. Does this sound like it's due to the same thing?

Thanks,
Hugh
Thats exactly how mine started Hugh. Was quite loud when it first started then went quiet for a bit. Now it's a mix of high and low pich squeals and a bearing noise all in one.:confused3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
kcdoyle said:
I'm no expert but it seems reasonable that as the rubber material heats up, there would be more flex and consequently less noise when cold and as hard as a hockey puck
If the rubber is splitting would that make a metal on metal noise. I looked at the assembly on the pdf file and there seems to be a metal bush in the centre, could it be that scraping on something?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
M5XDW said:
If the rubber is splitting would that make a metal on metal noise. I looked at the assembly on the pdf file and there seems to be a metal bush in the centre, could it be that scraping on something?
M5XDW just call the dealer and tell them that you were talking to some friends of yours that know a lot about BMW's. And they said to change the the flex joint on the front of the driveshaft.
The problem will be gone and they can take credit for diagnosing it.:hihi: :hihi:


Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Hi I had the what sounds lik the same problem and I went back again and again but it turned out this advise sloved my problems
I hope it helps you

-Frank-

Originally posted by KevinH
Been noticing with increasing frequency over the last few thousand miles a mild thumping, kind of like a ping-pong ball bouncing- slow and increasing in frequency as it dissipates-, in the center arm rest when I go over certain bumps or road imperfections. I am beginning to feel it in my seat as well. It does not do it on every bump but I can now find areas of my local roads where it is repeatable. Car goes in for 30K service in another 6 weeks so at least I will be able to duplicate it for the tech. Handling is not compromised so I don't think it is suspension or tire/rim related. I don't think it is any kind of drivetrain lash since it will happen at any kind of engine load. Anyone have this symptom in their M?



I'd be willing to bet it is a broken exhaust hanger bracket. I had the same symptoms. I'd advise searching the archive for "bumps", or "rattles" and you'll see some of the symptoms other members have described that are similar to yours. Seems like the exhaust hanger brackets and sway bars/brackets are the most common problems....Hope this helps, let us know what it turns out to be....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the reply Hercules, I will certainly look into it.

My car is still at the dealers at the moment.It has an extended BMW warranty on it and they have already replaced the electrical box fan free of charge and it wasn't that. I am getting the feeling that they don't want to spend anymore money on it.
Got a call this morning from the service mamager telling me that one of there techs drove it home and back last night, an 80 mile round trip all in with my permission and he heard the noise but couldn't pin point what it is.He is taking the car home again tonight to see if he can diagnose it.:grrrr:

The service manager keeps telling me that they cannot just keep changing parts!!!

We shall see what they say tommorrow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
M5XDW said:
Thanks for the reply Hercules, I will certainly look into it.

My car is still at the dealers at the moment.It has an extended BMW warranty on it and they have already replaced the electrical box fan free of charge and it wasn't that. I am getting the feeling that they don't want to spend anymore money on it.
Got a call this morning from the service mamager telling me that one of there techs drove it home and back last night, an 80 mile round trip all in with my permission and he heard the noise but couldn't pin point what it is.He is taking the car home again tonight to see if he can diagnose it.:grrrr:

The service manager keeps telling me that they cannot just keep changing parts!!!

We shall see what they say tommorrow.
Do you ask them to check out and/or change the universal/flex joint?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hughallen99 said:
Do you ask them to check out and/or change the universal/flex joint?
Yes I told them about the flex joint but i'm afraid they didn't take much notice.

As far as there concerned they have to diagnose the problem not me:crying:

It took me 9 months to eventually get them to replace the MAFS under warranty.Hell it has taken them nearly 18 months to get the car to run good.

Anyway I shall see what they say tommorrow, they might redeem themselves.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
My noise was so bad they were going to replace the transmission.
My drive shaft and flex joints were replaced. Still the noise

Broken exhaust hanger bracket
go figure
very common problem

-Frank-
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Top