BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm storing my car in the garage for a couple of months. I was told from the service manager at BMW to keep a battery charger on my car while it's sitting in the garage. Is that alright to do or should I just start it every 3-4 days?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Unless you're going to drive it around long enough to get up to full operating temperature, it's better to put a trickle charger on it and let is sit for the 3 to 4 months. Repetitive "dry starts" are not good.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Unless you're going to drive it around long enough to get up to full operating temperature, it's better to put a trickle charger on it and let is sit for the 3 to 4 months. Repetitive "dry starts" are not good.
Agree. Another reason to not start it unless it's going to get up to temp is to avoid condensation on the cylinder walls.

·
Registered
269 Posts

It was recommended by few mechanics at my dealer. Also I have a friend who does the same with his Porsche. Car is parked at my son’s condo with high security and ambient temperatures. I unplug the battery. A full tank of gas. I put on my winter wheel set. Inflate the tires. Last spring car started with first attempt. No loss of memory (only clock) everything else was working perfectly well.
Is that alright to do or should I just start it every 3-4 days?
Not recommended only if you take a car for real ride for at least 1/2 hour. If you start your car for 15 minutes you will destroy the engine by creating a lot of heavy deposits in your engine. If you like to take it out for a drive you should do it at least once a month.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts