BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've search the forum and was suprised that I didn't see a full checklist of things to do when preparing a Beast for a sleep. All I found was a recommendation that tires be inflated to almost the max pressure to prevent flatspotting.

I will be storing it inside, but not in a heated space.

I will be able to start the car once in a while, but what would the minimum number of starts per month be?

Although I will be able to start it up, I won't be driving it, except maybe on a nice day, but just around the compound, so no real speed, just parking lot.

I'd like to compile a nice list of things to do, then post back my "consensus" list for future reference by all.

BTW-The car is in Toronto Canada, so it will be pretty cold. I've already decided to put a cover on it, but interestingly, the cheapest one I found. It's just to keep the dust off. No good for moisture or UV (not necessary) but very breathable (important I think).

Thanks to all who respond.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Its best to fill the fuel tank above half or full to stop condensation.
Run the car once a month and allow the oil to reach operating temp,dont do this by letting it tickover though its best to go for a short drive.
Apart from fitting a tailor made car cover thats about all.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
For a winter snooze, I would...

- full the gas tank
- fill the tires with higher then usual pressure
- detail the car before putting it away
- change the oil beofre putting it away
- cover all openings on the car (exhaust tips, intakes, etc)
- put mothballs in a couple of socks and stick them throughout the car (rodetns dislike it)
- cover the car with a quality car cover

Other then those basic things, I do not think you need to worry to much about storing the car. As long as you can keep hte rodents out of it, you should be fine. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Always a good idea to buy a trickle charger for the battery as well.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I agree with most of the comments........higher than ususal tire presures, full tank of fuel to which I add a small amount of StA-bil, fresh oil and filter, completely washed and waxed prior to covering it, hook up the trickle charger, and then here is where I have a little different opinion......... I suggst that once she is put to bed that she NOT be woken up (do not fire the motor) until you are ready to drive her. If you fire the motor and let it run even until full warm up (as much as 30 minutes) and then shut her off condesation WILL develpe in the crankcase, transmission, and throughout the exhaust.

During her sleep I would roll her a few feet from time to just to change the sitting points on he tires......... or place her on blocks and then all worries are gone. FYI, the tires of today do not have as great a problem with flat spotting that the nylon cords of years gone by produced so even if you do very little you will likely be fine.

Just my thoughts

Shadowman

·
Registered
754 Posts
I totally agree with Shadowman's suggestions, but I would add is a battery tender. I purchased the BMW slow trickle charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter receptacle.
My service advisor recommended it, because I don't drive the car for up to a month at a time.
I think I paid approx. $60.00 at the dealership. The tender is cheap compared to what a battery costs for the Beast.

shadowman said:
I agree with most of the comments........higher than ususal tire presures, full tank of fuel to which I add a small amount of StA-bil, fresh oil and filter, completely washed and waxed prior to covering it, hook up the trickle charger, and then here is where I have a little different opinion......... I suggst that once she is put to bed that she NOT be woken up (do not fire the motor) until you are ready to drive her. If you fire the motor and let it run even until full warm up (as much as 30 minutes) and then shut her off condesation WILL develpe in the crankcase, transmission, and throughout the exhaust.

During her sleep I would roll her a few feet from time to just to change the sitting points on he tires......... or place her on blocks and then all worries are gone. FYI, the tires of today do not have as great a problem with flat spotting that the nylon cords of years gone by produced so even if you do very little you will likely be fine.

Just my thoughts

Shadowman

·
Registered
784 Posts
howler said:
I totally agree with Shadowman's suggestions, but I would add is a battery tender. I purchased the BMW slow trickle charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter receptacle.
My service advisor recommended it, because I don't drive the car for up to a month at a time.
I think I paid approx. $60.00 at the dealership. The tender is cheap compared to what a battery costs for the Beast.

I too use the Battery Tender with great success.... in fact one is plugged in my SuperCharged Z8 at this time.

Shadowman

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Or you could have the car transported to someone in a warmer climate. We'd be happy to drive it periodically to keep it happy and healthy.

hiha :2: hiha

·
Registered
240 Posts
Good luck storing your Beast. I know mine didn't like me very much after I left it for a while. If you let the car sit for a couple of days It is very important when you go to check on it to crank it up and run the engine to regular operating temp. because after sitting awhile the valves will stick a little, causing it to make a horrible clicking noise. I left mine with in a garage for about a month and besides the battery being dead the car ran like crap for a couple of days. NEVER AGAIN will I leave my beast that long with out any attention. I keep my Beast stored year round in a private garage and I go about every 2 weeks and pull it out and make a good drive down to the beach or out of town on a good road trip I try and not drive it so much but I have always heard this and now believe that if you take care of your BMW as well as drive it the car will not only take care of you but it will perform better and last longer. Just some friendly advice. :cheers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts