BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

after months of debating and questioning i just pulled the trigger on a set of red calipered front stoptechs. :7: :7: :7: :7: :7:

After months of dreaded judder/fade etc, i'd had enough and could prolong no more!!

Will post pics when doing/done.

Thanks to all for advice etc - shame i couldnt buy from Dave Z as i'm in the UK, but advice is greatly appreciated nonetheless and i may still come to you for track pads!!

cheers
foxy

PS: The kit doesnt come with fluid....any recommendations? thanks

B

·
0 Posts
foxyboym5 said:
Hey guys,

after months of debating and questioning i just pulled the trigger on a set of red calipered front stoptechs. :7: :7: :7: :7: :7:

After months of dreaded judder/fade etc, i'd had enough and could prolong no more!!

Will post pics when doing/done.

Thanks to all for advice etc - shame i couldnt buy from Dave Z as i'm in the UK, but advice is greatly appreciated nonetheless and i may still come to you for track pads!!

cheers
foxy

PS: The kit doesnt come with fluid....any recommendations? thanks
Congrats on the purchase. ATE SuperBlue is the brake fluid we recommend.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
355 Posts
About time Piers, I thought you were never going to take the plunge.......

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rogbacon said:
About time Piers, I thought you were never going to take the plunge.......
hahah, well, Roy at CA kept pestering me (in a nice way) so negotiated a good deal and theyre coming around the 11th jan....will post some pics etc

cheers mate, Happy NY

·
Registered
355 Posts
Are you doing the AA CAI kit as well??

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I know this is very late, but I was told by StopTech yesterday that I could offer a $500 discount for a front-only StopTech kit until the end of the year. I had been having a discussion with Bob Lee and he was expressing regrets for not having sent a Christmas present to his top retailer. I told him that was fine, then took advantage of the moment to ask if I could apply 1/2 the $1000 off sale price on the 4-wheel kit to a front-only kit for one of my customers. He said sure and that would apply to any front kit order placed before Monday.

That means that TODAY, if I get an order in from you, the price of a front kit is $2095 instead of $2595. If you're thinking of doing this, you might consider pulling the trigger today instead of a month or two from now. I'll sweeten the deal even more by making shipping free. So total cost to your door is $2095. That's good for red, black, or silver calipers. Slotted rotors are standard. Drilled rotors cost $100 more.

Remember, the StopTech front kit does fit under the stock M5 wheels without any spacers.

I appologize in advance to anyone who stumbles across this thread on or after Monday, at which point it's too late.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
DZeckhausen said:
I'll sweeten the deal even more by making shipping free.
Drat, if I'd waited another four hours to pull the trigger on the four-wheel kit would I have gotten free shipping? :haha2:

The power of disgust: I took the M5 out for a day at Laguna Seca on 12/26 and boiled the brakes, and boiled the brakes, and bled them out, and boiled them again. Feeling the pedal gradually sink further and further below the level of the gas pedal isn't fun when you're trying to heel-and-toe, and it contributed to a squirmy moment in turn 6 late in the day.

That track is tough as hell on brakes, but from day one I've been disappointed in the feel of the M5 brakes even in street use, and at this point it looks like I'll be hanging onto the car for a fair while yet.

So I called up Mr Zeckhausen and have a four-wheel Stoptech kit approaching via UPS, apparently in four separate boxes. Then I'll need wheels to clear the rears, maybe some Kinesis K28s.

That was one bloody expensive day at Laguna.

·
Registered
927 Posts
DZeckhausen said:
I know this is very late, but I was told by StopTech yesterday that I could offer a $500 discount for a front-only StopTech kit until the end of the year. I had been having a discussion with Bob Lee and he was expressing regrets for not having sent a Christmas present to his top retailer. I told him that was fine, then took advantage of the moment to ask if I could apply 1/2 the $1000 off sale price on the 4-wheel kit to a front-only kit for one of my customers. He said sure and that would apply to any front kit order placed before Monday.

That means that TODAY, if I get an order in from you, the price of a front kit is $2095 instead of $2595. If you're thinking of doing this, you might consider pulling the trigger today instead of a month or two from now. I'll sweeten the deal even more by making shipping free. So total cost to your door is $2095. That's good for red, black, or silver calipers. Slotted rotors are standard. Drilled rotors cost $100 more.

Remember, the StopTech front kit does fit under the stock M5 wheels without any spacers.

I appologize in advance to anyone who stumbles across this thread on or after Monday, at which point it's too late.

Thanks to Dave, I too have a set of Stoptechs on the way. Looking forward to it.

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
DZeckhausen said:

OK Dave, this is too good to pass up. I am in, I will PM you with details.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hahah, looks like starting this thread has given Dave a good start to 05!!
Good news!!

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
foxyboym5 said:
Good news!!
And a more expensive start to at least one board member!! :cheers:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
foxyboym5 said:
Good news!!
Thanks! It actually has. I hope your UK dealer was nice to you and was clever enough to ask Bob Lee if they could apply the $1,000 off sale on their 4-wheel kit to your front-only kit and take $500 off your price. It wasn't officially available, but when I pushed Bob on it the other day, he said OK. He might have figured it was so late, I wouldn't sell any! ;)

I received some more good news yesterday. I shipped a 4-wheel M5 kit to Kazakhstan on December 10th via USPS Global Express Mail. Expected delivery time was 3-5 days and it had simply vanished. USPS had no record of what happened after it left New Jersey on the 10th. It was insured, but the process for starting an investigation and actually getting paid back was very tedious. Well, the kit actually showed up the other day, arriving via Israel! What a relief.

As a backup, I did order a replacement 4-wheel kit (red calipers, slotted rotors) to have on hand in case I needed to send a second one to Kazakhstan. Since my costs go up substantially after today, I placed the order last week to hedge my bets. Since I won't have to send that kit overseas, I'll have one more red kit some time next month that can be discounted as a result of my lower cost. Can't explicitly advertise at less than list, but anyone thinking of getting a 4-wheel kit who, for whatever reason, missed the sale - you have one last chance. As of this moment, the kit is unclaimed.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, i pushed Roy at CA automotive and ended up with a very good deal.

I'm happy as had bought my eisenmann through him and was happy with the service & price from then. (i also believe in 'allowing' him 'some' profit in the deal!!!) :2:

Thought about the 4 wheel kit, but the 2 wheel was already a massive purchase for me, and as the rear doesnt fit stock rims (?) i thought i'd stick to the 2 wheel.

Cant wait to fit them on, need to rebalance wheels & move the wheel balance weights on my fronts, as i read there is so little room that these can hit the calipers if mounted close to the spokes of the insides of the wheels. (any experience?)

Need some new front tyres so will get this done at the same time.....2 days into 2005 and the beast is clocking up the £££ already!!!

hey ho!!
cheers

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
foxyboym5 said:
Cant wait to fit them on, need to rebalance wheels & move the wheel balance weights on my fronts, as i read there is so little room that these can hit the calipers if mounted close to the spokes of the insides of the wheels. (any experience?)
Actually, my experience with this particular kit is that the wheel weights are less likely to interfere if they are mounted as close as possible to the back of the spokes. If your tire guy sticks them an inch or more inboard, then they may contact the top of the caliper.

With the stock M5 front wheels, this has not been an issue. But do try to spin the wheel all the way around once before you take the car off the lift and drive away. If necessary, you can take a small hammer and tap the weight to compress it a bit. But don't assume it will interfere. Just be sure the tire guy is aware of the potential for interference and locates it appropriately.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds like the way forward fella...! i reckon i'm gonna have to find a car that has been modified already with these kinda tweeks to get what im looking for ... and perhaps dodge some of the expenses ...!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts