BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I installed the Stop Tech 4 wheel kit about two weeks ago and figured I would put a post up and share with you all.

The Stop Techs give a nice firm feel to the pedal, something that I felt was lacking with the stock system. I have found that rev-matching when down shifting during hard braking is smoother now with the firmer pedal.
The factory brakes are a powerful system to start with when stopping from speeds under 60mph. The stop tech's really shine when braking hard in triple digit speeds where traction is not such a major factor.

A little background on how I came to get this Kit.
We have known the stop tech guys for many years, in fact back in '99 or '00 they used our GTS Viper to develop their four wheel kit for the vipers. During the testing of the Viper, the conversation came up that my dad had an E39 M5 and that they were going to be developing a kit for that car as well. Being the cool guy my dad is, he let Stop Tech barrow his car (for about a week) to develop a kit for the M5. The car had many different combinations of calipers and piston sizes during this development time, but my dad had them put the stock brakes back on when they were done with the car. He let them barrow the car as a favor and had no real need for the kit as he did not intend on tracking his daily driver.

Back in February we ran into our Stop Tech friends at Button Willow during Viper Days. That weekend we joked about how they used our M5 and we never put the kit on the car that did all the development work. We both agreed that was just not right and we figured that the car needed to be rewarded for its hard work.

So rewarded it was!

FYI: My stock brakes are for sale on Ebay, full set with pads.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-...-Calipers_W0QQitemZ300212115663QQcmdZViewItem

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha, my dad on the internet. He is one of the few remaining survivors not to succumb to the digital age... <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
He picked up a CL 65, and made me an offer I couldn't refuse on the M.<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
377 Posts
The StopTech BBK is really amazing. I enjoy giving people the 80 - 10 demonstration...

The usual responses are:
"Holy crap I thought I was going to fly out of the window"
or
"It isn't right that this car can stop that fast."

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Great pics! I also love showing off the stopping power of my 4 wheel STs to unsuspecting passengers, but on my Z4 MC.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Now you just need to open up those brake ducts

·
Registered
446 Posts
I like the red calipers. hahaha

I only say that because I caught hell when I first joined "the club" for complimenting someone's red calipers on a silver m5.

Either way....stoptechs are cherrsagai

·
Registered
377 Posts
Are the front ST's on the 4-wheel kit the same as that on the 2-wheel kit?

The four wheel kit is actually just buying the fronts and the rears at the same time. So, yeah, you could say they were the same :).

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Very nice look! Get the aero package grille from your stealer that is a nice way to open up the brake vents.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the 540 euro kit on the M5. It detracts from the stock M5 look. The rings look ok, but I would paint them black, but to each his own. I just finished cutting the plastic backing out by hand (exacto knife) to keep the stock look while opening the grille to the ducts. I do not recommend this aproach however unless you have patience, 20/20 vision and several free weekendsouich

·
Registered
657 Posts
Anyone in the Upstate NY area that has the brembo or stoptech kit and would want to demonstrate which one I should get?

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Anyone in the Upstate NY area that has the brembo or stoptech kit and would want to demonstrate which one I should get?
-Neither unless you are tracking the car hard. If you are tracking, get StopTech. It cools better and has a stiffer caliper. Brembo is also good, but slightly inferior and costs as much $$$. IF you just want a BBK for looks, get something that's drilled and has lots and lots of pistons.

Reactions: ard

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yikes

Dude -- I almost had a heart attack when your brakes showed up in two beautiful StopTech boxes! Maybe someday.

It is probably going to be two weeks before I can get them in. They look pretty good.

My Euro Rotors arrived from Turner Motorsports earlier this week, and I'm still trying to decide on brass caliper bushings.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, I thought you would like those boxes. Those boxes wrere just the right size, and I couldn't resist.

So you got everything okay?

Keep me posted on how the conversion works.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts