BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced a strange graunching/ticking noise entering a corner that goes if you brake gently?

I ran this past an 'expert' and he said it was very common for the 5 series as a whole to get tiny stones stuck between the front brake discs and back plate. He said the only way to stop it is to remove the discs and see what falls out!?!

I'm going to give this a go asap, but I couldn't find any references to it on the board. This made me wonder just how 'common' the problem could be?!

Incidentally, you can only hear this with the windows down so it's easy to ignore, but it sounds hideous when you corner hard.

He also seemed to think it would be worse with the bigger AP brakes on my car.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yep - had this last summer.

It sounded exactly as you describe and sure enough the cause was a small stone wedged between the disc and the dust shield. Easy to fix - thank God!

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Yes, I've seen it happen too.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
ard said:
Evidently due to excessive off-road driving, eh?
Hit the gravel trap at Pocono sideways and you'll not only be picking rocks out from behind the rotors. You'll be using a screwdriver to pry gravel from between the edge of the tires and the rim. Ask me how I know this! ;)

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Yes, I have seen this on a bunch of 5 series as well. Very common but easy to remedy!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers for all the replies guys. It's a huge relief that a noise that bad is nothing to worry about and so easily fixed. Phew! :M5thumbs:

Happy motoring! :M5launch:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts