BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of rocks came up and hit the hood of my M5 today. A total of 4 paint chips. I am sick over it. One is realy big the others regular large stone chips. They are in the middle of the hood. What is the best wat to get paint fixed? The windshield also got a chip in it. Would appreciate your input

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
hey again x
well cant say i have an answer for the chips you already have, but i have stongard installed to prevent future chips. It is a transparent film that is applied to the most vulnerable parts of your car (front fascia, rearview mirrors etc.). NOW BEFORE you put it on there are people who have had bad experiences with having them put on (mostly bad installs), so beware. I have not had a bad experience with it, and couldnt live without it. you can call bill shores (head of sales) at stongard at (800)6446193. Tell him that faisal recommended you if you wish. With it on, I know there are a couple of times where I am almost positive i would of gotten chips, and i didnt. Stongard also guarantees that you will not get a chip on any place you have it installed.
fas

·
Registered
161 Posts
fas,

What did it cost to have your car done?

------------------
Y2K Carbon Black

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I've been putting off having xpel done (same basic thing) and now I've got a big chip right above one of the kidneys.

Bummed. This one's ugly enough that I may actually want to have it fixed.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I too have a couple of chips on the hood. One right near the roundell. I also have quite a bit of "patina" on the very front around the foglights, etc... I'm thinking of having the whole front end of the car repainted, and having xpel or stonguard applied.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
hey dante,
it cost me about $452 from what i can remember. But i had some major discounts. I got a 20% off from the product because i got it done directly at a stongard installation seminar. If you get it done at a dealer itself it can get quite expensive, i have heard up to $800. I would suggest that you fist see mine, hopefully when we meet on the 19th, and i will explain it to you there. I URGE everybody to know the pro's and cons before they get this applied, because i would not wish for anybody to have some of the problems that other's had without knowing the risks (my disclaimer
). There are some other old threads if you wish search on STONGARD and that should give you more info.

fas

·
Registered
161 Posts
OK, I will wait to see yours. Then I will have to get enrolled in the seminar for the discount - if they still do that.

------------------
Y2K Carbon Black

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
hey dante,
at the same time i would call bill shores anyway, and see if they have any sessions happening around the area, incentives, etc.

fas

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
MarkM5Lauderdale had some installation problems and removal problems. Paint came off. I think Stoneguard and others use the same 3M film.

A test piece was put on my car in August and the installer was quick to remove it, I think because he was concerned about my new car with its new paint and the last thing he wanted was to ruin it.

I bought the Colgan bra and it fits snug and up to high speed doesn't seem to move at all and the paint showed no sign of wear.

I will use it only on those occasions where I encounter speeds above 60MPH such as freeways , that's where I seem to get the worst damage and in town I won't use it and be more careful. This weekend we're going to Sebring and I'll use to get there and if they'll let me on the track where speed are kept to 90MPH or less. I have already tested above that speed.

So go slow and investigate the options before you buy. It could be a costly experience.
------------------
Jim
07/00 M5 Titanium over Red

[This message has been edited by Jim Dolan (edited 07 November 2000).]

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I plan to buy the Colgan bra and use it for when I'm driving any kind of distance. They are supposed to be rated for high-speed (at least 130 as I recall). Around town usually isn't much of a problem and you don't want to have the bra on all the time anyway.

You might consider getting the mirror bras as well. I did this for my M3 and it sure paid off.

------------------
Phil

01 M5 SilverStone due 12/00

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
A note on the Colgan bras-- they're great, and the piece that covers the hood alone should prevent quite a few stone chips. Just be sure to pull it off at the first sign of road dust or beginning of rain. Any sort of abrasive under the fabric (or that washed there by fluids) will scratch the finish something wicked--especially Carbon or Jet Black!

The new water-based primers manufacturers now use to meet EPA requirements are MUCH more susceptible to chips. I had a '98 540i six-speed with 43K miles (and good-old hydrocarbon-based finishes), and it had far fewer chips than does my '00 M5 with 8K miles(!)

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
So far as I know BMW went to the water-based paints in '97 or '98, your '98 certainly had it (ours does.)

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
My Colgan bra "flaps" abit over 100. It is tight. It seems like air is entering around the grille and causing the top w/the deflectors to flap.
I got no chips using it driving down to San Diego, but have a few from just driving around here without it, ouch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts