BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Here are the two soundfiles I made, the first with the stock exhaust, the second with the resonator removed and replaced with two straight pipes. Both files are made using my laptop computer sitting on the driveway about 6 feet behind the car.

You can download and open both, then play them side-by-side to get a good idea of the difference between the two setups. There is virtually no difference in interior noise.

Resonator in (Stock setup):

http://www.savefile.com/files.php?fid=3775994

Resonator out (Replaced with two straight pipes):

http://www.savefile.com/files.php?fid=7601412

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Thank you for making the sound clips.

As I have figured from the beginning. It produces the same effect that the resonator removal did for hte E39 with or wthout aftermarket exhasuts. It made the decibel level above a certain RPM louder and the overall tone has gotten a little more raspy and pitchy. The backfiring is nice too! I love it!!

There is no doubt I am pairing an xpipe or striaght piping to my Eisenmann/Kelleners system.

'Rocket

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BostonRocket said:
Thank you for making the sound clips.

As I have figured from the beginning. It produces the same effect that the resonator removal did for hte E39 with or wthout aftermarket exhasuts. It made the decibel level above a certain RPM louder and the overall tone has gotten a little more raspy and pitchy. I love it!!

There is no doubt I am pairing an xpipe or striaght piping to my Eisenmann/Kelleners system.

'Rocket
I would recommend this change to anyone who's looking for a sharper exhaust note. It's not that expensive, it can be reversed if you don't like it, and it doesn't increase the interior noise at all. I really like it - the exhaust is just a little louder, and definitely sharper and sportier sounding.

I'm definitely going to go with an Eisenmann or Supersprint in addition to this. The great thing is, if I want to tone it down a bit, I can always put the resonator back in.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AbruzziBoy said:
I love the sound without the resonators. Who makes the replacement straight pipe or X-pipe and what is their price? Did you do the install yourself?
I just went to the best BMW shop in the area - Blau Mit Weiss, and they have a guy who's done race exhausts for over 20 years. He just cut off the stock resonator, and welded a couple SS tubes in it's place.

They're keeping the resonator in case I want to put it back in. Like I say, inexpensive and reversable - really worth doing IMO. Just make sure you have someone who really knows what they're doing.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AbruzziBoy said:
Could you upload some photos of the before and after?
I should have taken some pics when it was up on the rack. Nothing really special though. The resonator is a pillow sized chamber that consists of two separate through pipes, perforated on the inside, surrounded by what looks like a glass pack type shell.

The 'after' is just two straight pipes. We left in the 'H pipe' section, which is a small connection between the two pipes just forward of the resonator. The guys told me this actually increases HP - the same concept as the X-pipe.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Im with rocket...

If i were to buy an E60 (big iff) and put an exhaust on it (that is a forgone conclusion if i bought the car) It would have to have the resonator replacment and the Kelleners or the upcomming Eisen TI system.

Anything else is just throwing your money away.

·
Registered
39 Posts
the vid isnt working any more ? can u repalce them plz ... and how could i remove them ? and replace them with what ? and last how many hp gain do get out from it in a stock M5

·
Registered
556 Posts
the vid isnt working any more ? can u repalce them plz ... and how could i remove them ? and replace them with what ? and last how many hp gain do get out from it in a stock M5
Bo-rakna........ seriously your questions are getting out of control and you are not listening to anyones responses. How many times do we need to say that there are NO HP gains with removing the Resonator and or replacing it with the X-pipe that you so much desire. None. Again the "SEARCH" I will say it again the "SEARCH" with answer every one of your questions 10 times over.
Here is my link with ALL THE ANSWERS to your major X-pipe/ Resonator Dilemma. :nono:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=111155

·
Registered
637 Posts
Bo-rakna........ seriously your questions are getting out of control and you are not listening to anyones responses. How many times do we need to say that there are NO HP gains with removing the Resonator and or replacing it with the X-pipe that you so much desire. None. Again the "SEARCH" I will say it again the "SEARCH" with answer every one of your questions 10 times over.
Here is my link with ALL THE ANSWERS to your major X-pipe/ Resonator Dilemma. :nono:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=111155
Foghorn Leghorn "The SEARCH, I say, the SEARCH will answer all of your questions, sir"

The resonators are like mini-mufflers. They are there for lowering sound volume and should not affect performance in any way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts