BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Let me check my spreadsheet.....They were PowerFlex from 9/2004 purchased through BimmerZone
I found the info on Powerflex stiffness, that explains why everyone seems to be using Purple:
Red 65A – Used for our Universal exhaust mounts and diesel engine mounts.
Yellow 70A – Mainly used for engine mounts, diff mounts and subframe mounts or areas where the bush needs a lot of movement and absorption.
Purple 80A – Our most common material. This is used in most areas of the suspension and provides the right mix between performance and compliance.
Black 95A – Our hardest material. This is used for our Black Series range or on normal road vehicles where the vehicles suspension demands require us to use this hardness of material i.e. in areas of high load.

·
Registered
773 Posts
You are doing more research on rear sway bar brackets and bushings then most racers do. Thanks for the details and the postings of the findings and questions as it will help others who are thinking of doing the same improvements on their M5 and other E39 models.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
You are doing more research on rear sway bar brackets and bushings then most racers do. Thanks for the details and the postings of the findings and questions as it will help others who are thinking of doing the same improvements on their M5 and other E39 models.
Well I have a tight budget and want to just upgrade slowly over time using quality parts and the right choices so I don't regret it or have to swap anything out later (hopefully). Hopefully haven't been getting too OCD about it. 2 pages here were just discussing brackets and bushings, not as sexy stuff as discussing sway bars lol. You are welcome. Thanks for your input. According to VAC, their brackets were designed to be a better fit than the Beastpower ones. Not sure if anyone here has tried them or not. I might give them a try, they look similarly thick as the Beastpower ones.
Edit: If these VAC brackets are a fraction better than the beastpower ones, they are only worth buying if you are in the US. For UK buyers, the shipping is $65 and then I netted an additional $57 DHL fee for duty and taxes that I wouldn't have paid if I had gotten the Beastpower ones from Bimmerzone as it would have fallen under our VAT payment threshold. So these would have to be the best brackets in the history of the human race for that price lol. That will be the last time I ever buy them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
The Dinan instructions say use the Stock bracket with their $0.01 metal tab. Ignore those instructions. Go with the BeastPower brackets or the steel ones. Use the Poly Powerflex or similar bushing available in the UK as you all have an entire cottage industry supporting FI and all forms of racing. Someone has to make those bushings over that side of the pond. Use can get away with the M5 sized ones without any issues on install. Just make sure you use a silicone based grease not oil/petroleum based.
Got the Dinan bar now! Hurray! A couple of questions on the bag of extras that came with it.
Is there any point using the Dinan clamp supports on the upgraded Beastpower or VAC brackets? I assume not.
I got a pair of black poly bushes with the Dinan rear bar. I already have a pair of red Strongflex 17mm 80ShA poly bushes. Should I just use the Strongflex instead? The Dinan ones feel a lot softer, closer to the stock M5 bushes, perhaps a fraction stiffer.
Water Liquid Fluid Fish Auto part

·
Registered
773 Posts
Stiffer is the way I would go on the bushings.

On the bracket tabs from Dinan, they are useless unless someone plans on using on using OE aluminum ones.

Congrats on getting the bar shipped and received. Parts from Germany Depots to US Dealers is REAL SLOW.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Stiffer is the way I would go on the bushings.
On the bracket tabs from Dinan, they are useless unless someone plans on using on using OE aluminum ones.
Congrats on getting the bar shipped and received. Parts from Germany Depots to US Dealers is REAL SLOW.
Thanks very much for the input! Yeah my parts were stuck at UK customs for about a week, then FedEx didn't deliver for a few days, probably short of drivers. It wasn't too bad, the biggest delay was waiting for stock of the front brace from Dinan for a month. I will set the bar to neutral and see how I get on with the sport front sway bar, there is still a question mark over whether I can get the M5 front bar or not, but if I can't get it, I will upgrade the front bar bushings to match the rear.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
That bracket tab Dinan supplies to be used with the stock brackets really doesn't help the bracket failure rate -- it just changes the section of the bracket that is most stressed, and it fails in that area. I broke a stock bracket with the Dinan support tab and Dinan rear bar on track at VIR back in 2005. This was 2 weeks after installation. There were a total of three E39 M5s that broke rear sway bar brackets at the event (2005 BMWCCA O'fest). Throw the tabs away, always upgrade the bracket.

Reactions: PliSsK and mgdmb

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
plissk.
Installed the rear bar yet?
Yes! I had an indie do it. The car corners really flat now, it's great!! It is currently set to the neutral middle hole. I still have the old BMW bushes in the front 25mm bar, I will likely order some red Strongflex bushes for the front bar as it sounds like the M5 front bar won't be produced again, although you never know. I will take some pics next time I'm under the car.

·
Registered
127 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
One idea for the front… I saw Jed is producing these “unicorn reins” (link below).
I’d be curious to hear reviews, but I love the idea and the simplification of the install. (Front sway install seems like a nightmare).
I need to install my new Dinan rsb as well. Congrats! :)
Hey thanks for the link. Not heard of these before but they are about as expensive as the active M5 front sway bar. However, if you can't get the latter any more then it is an option, although it doesn't sound like that much less work to install than the front sway. I have paid BMW in the UK for the bar but it sounds like Germany will eventually cancel the order unless they get enough orders for it. Yeah the Dinan RSB is great, you will love it! The roads are too cold and damp to really gauge the understeer/oversteer balance atm on summer tyres. I have the Dinan strut brace on the front as well, that did make a slight difference.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts