BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
M5 stock sway bar is 27mm front and 16.5mm rear. Eibach is 28mm front and 18mm rear so more of a jump in size on the rear. Would Eibach F&R sways be a good upgrade over stock M5 or do you think the stock sways are better overall? I have an E39 Alpina B10 V8 and have B8 shocks and Intrax 540i springs for it. Thanks.

·
Administrator
3,417 Posts
Neither.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Neither.

Sorry I should have made it clearer I was talking about the E39. Do you have any opinions on sway bars for the E39? I updated the title of the OP.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
depends greatly on the use case, and whether or not you're running a square setup (specifically w/r/t the front bar)
Hi mgdmb, not running a square set up, standard Alpina wheels, front 8Jx18H2 offset 20 235/40ZR18 and rear 9Jx18H2 offset 24 265/35ZR18. Mainly road use but like it to sit flat. Eibach bar kit is discontinued as might the front M5 bar be, so realistic options are the M5 rear M sport front (like the B10 V8S set up) or the Ultra Racing 27mm front 19mm rear although I've yet to have it confirmed the front bar will work on a V8. Will be running 15mm spacers on the fronts and maybe a 5mm on the rear.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You don't want a front if the wheels are staggered by more than 20mm
Dinan rsb is a nice bit of kit too, not sure on availability on that side of the pond though
So the fronts should be ok with a bar (20 - 15 = 5)? Basically I'd need to import one from the US, they look nice at 17mm and adjustable, but it would really have to be worth it over a 16.5mm M5 RSB. If a reseller stocked them in the UK I would snap one up.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
It makes a big difference because of the adjustability. On a staggered setup, middle hole is neutral (as it pertains to over/under steer), outer is preferred when running a square setup (again, for neutral handling)

If you want more tail happy, move in.

I probably wasn't clear on the front sway. You don't want it if you're running a staggered setup with more than 20mm front / rear tire width difference. You're sitting at 30mm now

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It makes a big difference because of the adjustability. On a staggered setup, middle hole is neutral (as it pertains to over/under steer), outer is preferred when running a square setup (again, for neutral handling). If you want more tail happy, move in. I probably wasn't clear on the front sway. You don't want it if you're running a staggered setup with more than 20mm front / rear tire width difference. You're sitting at 30mm now
Yeah it does sound like fun with the Dinan bar. I am getting some quotes now and if it's not silly money to get it here, I might try it. You reckon it is still worthwhile even if I only ever have the BMW M Sport front bar (in the event BMW don't make any more M5 FSBs or the UR one is not for M62)? Sorry where do you get the 30mm figure from? :unsure:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Shipping from the UK might be cost prohibitive...

Where in the US are you? I have a few laying around...
I only have an M Sport rear bar atm. I checked the total price on the Dinan inc shipping to UK and it was $344!!! Bargain. Will most likely order one. Thanks for the tip. If I ever want to swap it out for something else I expect it will be easy to sell in the UK as they are so rare there.

·
Registered
788 Posts
The Dinan rear bar in the center hole slot is a definite good choice for your set up. It will keep the tail planted on slow to fast sweepers making a more neutral feel at the wheel. Use the BeastPower Brackets with Poly bushing and use their lube paste to eliminate any potential for squeaks in the future. I have had that set up for going on 5 years.
Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Light Blue Motor vehicle
Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Tire

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Dinan rear bar in the center hole slot is a definite good choice for your set up. It will keep the tail planted on slow to fast sweepers making a more neutral feel at the wheel. Use the BeastPower Brackets with Poly bushing and use their lube paste to eliminate any potential for squeaks in the future. I have had that set up for going on 5 years.
View attachment 954598 View attachment 954599
It looks very clean under there! I am hopefully going to source a front M5 sway bar from BMW, they were backordered when I placed the order a few weeks ago, there is a chance they might discontinue it. I was going to order a pair of TurnerSport brackets for the rear sway bar, I assume these are good enough? ECS don't seem to stock the Beast Power ones. I ordered the BMW M5 sway bar bushings, do you guys consider them to be good enough? I don't mind if they don't last forever. I spoke to Birds one time, who was the UK Hartge guy, about bushings and he suggested firmer bushings would just cause more vibration and ruin the ride but a lot of ppl seem to swear by them.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Beast Brackets BMW BeastPower Brackets

Use can also use these Stock STEEL ones. I have a set sitting in my parts bin waiting for one of the cars to need a bracket: 96-03 BMW E39 Rear Sway Bar Bracket STEEL UPGRADE 33552283159 (Fits All E39) | eBay

On the Poly bushing comment, I believe he was referring to replacing the suspension arms with Poly as some have mentioned the noise transfer to the body. On The rear bar there is ZERO transfer.

NOTE:
DINAN ANTI-ROLL BAR - 1997-2003 BMW 5-SERIES
Rear - 17mm - Adjustable - E39

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Beast Brackets BMW BeastPower Brackets

Use can also use these Stock STEEL ones. I have a set sitting in my parts bin waiting for one of the cars to need a bracket: 96-03 BMW E39 Rear Sway Bar Bracket STEEL UPGRADE 33552283159 (Fits All E39) | eBay

On the Poly bushing comment, I believe he was referring to replacing the suspension arms with Poly as some have mentioned the noise transfer to the body. On The rear bar there is ZERO transfer.
Thanks, yeah that would be $175 delivered to the UK, a bit painful but if they are worth it...They do look very thick. The Turnersport ones look slightly thicker than the OEM but not by that much. They claim they are a lot stronger though.

·
Registered
788 Posts
The STEEL upgrade brackets that Turner is selling is the same as on eBay just at $10 more US. :)
The stock rear sway bar brackets are Aluminum and they will break. The Beast Power brackets are the ultimate ones to buy. The shipping to the UK is outrageous.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The STEEL upgrade brackets that Turner is selling is the same as on eBay just at $10 more US. :)
The stock rear sway bar brackets are Aluminum and they will break. The Beast Power brackets are the ultimate ones to buy. The shipping to the UK is outrageous.
tbh i would expect no less than next day delivery with a rosette on the box. I don't mind if they aren't sexy, as long as they don't break! I assume the bushing size is the same between the M5 rear bar and the Dinan one as there is only 0.5mm diameter difference.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I found a UK reseller who can sell the BeastPower to me for $120 all in. Bargain! BTW I looked at the instructions for the Dinan rear sway bar and it said one should use the Dinan bushing and the original BMW metal bracket with an additional piece of bracket on top for the supplied bolt to go through. Should I ignore all of that and use a Powerflex bushing (PFR5-504-165?) and the BeastMaster instead? Or is the Dinan bushing any good? On the front ARB, do you just use a stock BMW bracket and Powerflex bushing (like the PFF5-4602-27?) Cheers!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts