BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see people with an M5 leaving tire marks on the road all the time on youtube so today I decided to try it myself.

M mode on, S6, DSC off, in 1st gear, pressed and held the SMG shift forward so that I could use the launch control (for the first time)

Well, I knew about the limited rpm on the US models but I was surprised to see that it only went up to about 3000rpm...

I let the shift go, I accelerate forward, but no tire screeching or tire marks on the road...

Am I doing something wrong or do all stock e60 M5's don't have enough power in the rear wheel?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey choypia, I recently purchased my m5 and the first thing i did was burn out using the launch control. It is really effective. I attached a video of it on the launch control thread, check it out! its possible!

Sal

·
Registered
209 Posts
Your problem was using launch control in the first place. It is designed not to let the tires completely break loose and start spinning. Just mash the pedal and hold on.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your problem was using launch control in the first place. It is designed not to let the tires completely break loose and start spinning. Just mash the pedal and hold on.
nah I found out what I was doing wrong. I was just not pressing the pedal all the way down :blink:

·
Registered
162 Posts
nah I found out what I was doing wrong. I was just not pressing the pedal all the way down :blink:
Your were trying to do a burnout, but you were not pressing the pedal down to the floor?? :deal:

Glad you figured it out

·
Registered
124 Posts
I see people with an M5 leaving tire marks on the road all the time on youtube so today I decided to try it myself.

M mode on, S6, DSC off, in 1st gear, pressed and held the SMG shift forward so that I could use the launch control (for the first time)

Well, I knew about the limited rpm on the US models but I was surprised to see that it only went up to about 3000rpm...

I let the shift go, I accelerate forward, but no tire screeching or tire marks on the road...

Am I doing something wrong or do all stock e60 M5's don't have enough power in the rear wheel?
Maybe your car has less power than the ones on youtube. Are you sure you didn't leave tire marks all over the road? Should be 2 black mark lines at least 250-400ft long.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I prefer to be gentle on launch. So, here's burnout method from a roll. As others said, first make sure DSC is off. While in first gear take car to around 5k RPM and then punch it. Length of burn out depends on temperature, road surface and tire condition.

Can't do burn out from low RPM. Dyno chart says why.

·
Registered
47 Posts
:eek:oohhh:
Is it because you have your seat too far back hence can't reach to floor the pedal or is it because you thought your torque curve crosses the 1000 lb-ft line at 1.5k RPM?

·
Registered
353 Posts
too much power in the rear is detrimental to the car's machismo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts