BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how much power the oem m5 clutch can handle?

I am considering pairing it with my new JBR flywheel for my 540i.
My tires currently have more holding power than my clutch does in second gear.
I need a reliable clutch upgrade.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
A new OEM M5 clutch can handle stock M5 engine power with out an issue.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
I am definitely not an expert on this, but I remember reading in some other post, a response to this same question that said "The stock (M5) clutch in good condition is reliable up to about 500 whp". Again, this is just "hearsay".

·
Registered
200 Posts
I saw your post on BFC. I recently put the stock M5 clutch in my SC'd 540. 435 RWHP/400 Tq. Only had the clutch in the car for about 6 months or so. Seems to be holding fine so far, and is very driveable. I do limit my hot shifting and let it engage between gears most times during hard runs. Should hold up fine for you.

You are also doing the LWFW, so you are likely looking for a sprung hub disc. That said, you are looking at aftermarket solution for at least the disc. Not sure if you can buy just an M5 PP seperately?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I am definitely not an expert on this, but I remember reading in some other post, a response to this same question that said "The stock (M5) clutch in good condition is reliable up to about 500 whp". Again, this is just "hearsay".
I'm running a brand new M5 clutch in my M5. Maybe 2k miles on it. It was broken in correctly and it does hold the power. If you put some heat into it and try to feed it hard shifts back to back then that's another story. I wouldn't recommend it for 500+whp applications.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I have 119k miles on my M5 and I think clutch was changed at 85kmi.

I can whomp on it hard and it holds other than 3 or 4 times at 7k redline it slipped when it was really hot.

I'd think it could hold up to 500HP but only a guess. It feels like I have every bit of the stock TQ at hand.

Really good engagment throw (bites early in the pedal arc) and pushes in very easy.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
sorry guys, I just realized that this whole thread discussion might be a moot point. I was supposed to get a sprung hub clutch because I am using a single mass FF in this application.
I assume there is no sprung hub version of the Luk or Sachs?

Are any of you running lightweightflywheels? what clutch did you go with?

·
Registered
632 Posts
sorry guys, I just realized that this whole thread discussion might be a moot point. I was supposed to get a sprung hub clutch because I am using a single mass FF in this application.
I assume there is no sprung hub version of the Luk or Sachs?

Are any of you running lightweightflywheels? what clutch did you go with?

Ah get ready for the rattle noise with that flywheel. Check out southbend for a sprung hub clutch application.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts