BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
For those who aren't members of BMWCCA (and therefore don't get your own Roundel club mag each month), 'thought you'd enjoy this article. Unlike mainstream car magazine tests/technical write-ups (by journalists who don't own the cars they write about; and only spend a brief time with cars they test), this writer actually owns his own stock M5 (he loves it); and spent a whole day with Dinan's S3. This is a funny/informative/entertaining/comparative read by Chris Wright, a Roundel staff writer/photograhper.

BTW, as club mag for BMWCCA, Roundel is exclusively, devoutly devoted to all things BMW. However, it's Editor-in-Chief (Satch Carlson) freely allows dissension/criticism; whether in articles/columns about BMW cars/mods, or the lengthy "letters from BMW owners" section. So, the mag reader gets a balanced view from staff/club members/BMW owners. IMO, Roundel, by itself, is worth annual cost of BMWCCA membership (about $40); and there are many other valuable membership benefits. If you live in the U.S., it's definately worth being a member of BMW Car Club of America.

Anyway, 'hope you enjoy this read.......

Attachments

·
Registered
534 Posts
DRM, I couldn't agree more - BMWCCA membership at $40 / year is a bargain, even if all you do is read Roundel, the national organization magazine.

As stated by the OP, the magazine's coverage is dedicated to BMW, but in no way is it sugar coated or poorly disguised marketing babble. Add to that the terrific Tech Talk Q&A Column by Mike Miller, and it's a steal. Add to that local Chapter functions, group drives, HPDE track days and Chapter magazine and it's priceless!

I thoroughly enjoyed the article and it did make me think about the Dinan S3 package, until I saw the price again - $75k seems a little steep......:eek:oohhh:

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well......

I thoroughly enjoyed the article and it did make me think about the Dinan S3 package, until I saw the price again - $75k seems a little steep......:eek:oohhh:
Thanks; but 'think the writer overstated the true (all in) cost of a full S3 conversion; basing $75k on full list price of pkg + the high end of hourly install labor cost. Suffice to say I was quoted a "pkg deal" price, by a highly experienced Dinan dealer, that was substantially less.

Don't ask why I was actively considering this. While the "all in" cost of buying a slightly used M5/M6, plus adding an S3 pkg was compelling, I passed for the same reasons I don't already own a new gen M5/M6 (as hard as I've tried to "get there"); which I've often been quite vocal about on this forum. Enough said.....:)

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
+10% off for parts :)

·
Registered
534 Posts
Now you're talkin'

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
It must be my crappy computer because I do not have the spacial resolution to be able to read the text of the article.

Ranger

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It must be my crappy computer because I do not have the spacial resolution to be able to read the text of the article.

Ranger
Juan, if you click on the scanned pages, a new window opens up with a larger pic; then you can keep clicking on the pic, which continues to enlarge it 'till the text is clear enough to read. At least, that's how I do it with my sorry, old eyes.:)

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Great article, which I already read when I first got the issue and just re-read last night. With all the questions about the real world performance of the stroker, it would great if Steve Dinan made videos of Performance Box/ V-Box runs in his personal stroked M5 (and others) and added them to the videos in the Dinan website. At this juncture there seem to be more questions than answers on this board.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
This sounds sad :(

"This is probably the last big, naturally aspirated motor that BMW will build"
I also find it sad, but then think about how rare the engine and tranny is already. Sure the forced inductions will be great for output and weight but tuning them will most likely void the warranty, I would presume. The happy part in all this having the option of adding the S3 package to make this engine more rare and exotic and fast as stank. Of course I would like to see the resolution of Darrens and TTM6 engines and also my pockets for a cash flow:rolleyes:

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Steve DInan told that BMW built in alot of expandability in these enertion of V10 so maybe these with turbos :grinyes:

I also find it sad, but then think about how rare the engine and tranny is already. Sure the forced inductions will be great for output and weight but tuning them will most likely void the warranty, I would presume. The happy part in all this having the option of adding the S3 package to make this engine more rare and exotic and fast as stank. Of course I would like to see the resolution of Darrens and TTM6 engines and also my pockets for a cash flow:rolleyes:

·
Registered
756 Posts
Great post and great article, thanks Dan!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Steve DInan told that BMW built in alot of expandability in these enertion of V10 so maybe these with turbos :grinyes:
OMG are you kidding, that would be retarded or end up retarded with that much power in a M5. Cant wait to see if someone steps up to the plate, owners of course.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Well written and a good read. Thanks for taking the time to post Dan!

Dave

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Finally read it. Flows well and the writer is very impressed with both the stroker and Steve Dinan.
I disagree with several comments.
It is composed of flowing descriptions with multiple adjectives and superlatives. That is great.
No quantified performance tests/standards. No results.

Cheers
Ranger

·
Registered
907 Posts
Great Read.......Thanks!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts