BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Do you have more specifics? Color/year/mileage/price range? My car may be for sale. I just spent $3,000 redoing the suspension and SLS delete with Koni Adjustables.

Reactions: e34M5wannabe

·
Registered
2 Posts
What kind of M5 do you want? I`m selling my beloved M5touring- totally original, with all options(except electric front seats), fully serviced by BMW, perfect full leather bi-color interior, near flawless exterior. Drives like new, doesn`t even come out in the rain! Problem is you`d have to get it sent over from Europe!! :dunno: Then again I`ve brought cars over here from the states, so not that difficult?:3:

·
Registered
224 Posts
eb--at least a $10K recertification process to get it federalized with our ridiculous processes here in the states. Do you have pictures of your car?

·
Registered
832 Posts
What kind of M5 do you want? I`m selling my beloved M5touring- totally original, with all options(except electric front seats), fully serviced by BMW, perfect full leather bi-color interior, near flawless exterior. Drives like new, doesn`t even come out in the rain! Problem is you`d have to get it sent over from Europe!! :dunno: Then again I`ve brought cars over here from the states, so not that difficult?:3:

Would love to see pics. of your car too !

·
Registered
169 Posts
I believe the DMV in FL where the OP is located is very lax in that full DOT/EPA is more like an option rather than mandatory so a grey market is not out of the question. Just check ebay and you will find tons of jdm cars all with FL tags for sale that were not DOT cleared

·
Registered
58 Posts
there's a 1990 hellrot 3.6 US for sale in san diego. (188k) owner wants $9500 for it. I was gonna drop by and take a look for a friend, but im not sure he is sold. let me know if you're interested.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
M5ed - thanks, I've heard some not so good things about the federalization process in FL

Pasha - 1990? I thought they were only imported 91 - 93 to US. Mileage is also too high... and, I'd actually prefer a 93 US spec, or a Euro that's already been through the fed process.

Again, thanks... Steve

·
10,458 Posts
91 model year importation actually started spring/summer of 90, with production actually beginning as early as late 89. They all should be 91 model year if US spec though, not fitting the normal bmw model year cycle. When i bought mine (3/90 productions), i looked at 91's that ranged from 1/90 build to 4/91 build, the 91 model year should have run up to about 8/91.

Reactions: e34M5wannabe

·
Registered
13 Posts
There are many nice E34M5s for sale right now. If you can spend more than $15k you'll get something pretty nice. The difference between the wheat and the chaff is getting more apparent every year. Yes, there are $10k (or less) cars out there, but they will need a lot of work and these cars are expensive to maintain. If you're looking for a cheap, cool daily driver, looks elsewhere. But if you can buy a well sorted car now, or buy a decent one and get it where you want it, then it's a good time to buy. (mine's not for sale!) join the yahoo group for the honest truth and the best cars. nothing against those here, but the US enthusiasts gravitate to the yahoo group. these cars are awesome. although they're not gaining value right now (what is?), they are a solid buy. check Roundel ads too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
sorry i was going by build date. doesnt sound like what you are looking for. there are some euro's for sale in so cal, let me see what i can find.

·
Registered
101 Posts
M5ed - thanks, I've heard some not so good things about the federalization process in FL

Pasha - 1990? I thought they were only imported 91 - 93 to US. Mileage is also too high... and, I'd actually prefer a 93 US spec, or a Euro that's already been through the fed process.

Again, thanks... Steve
Look in standard sites... like Autotrader and Cars.com. There's actually a federalized euro-spec E34 M5 Touring on Autotrader right now, but the guy is asking $37K for it with 100K miles. He's either so high he didn't type those numbers right, or I figure you could bring one in and federalize it yourself for WAY less.

I REALLY like this one, and love that color (very rare). In fact, I don't think I've even seen an E34 M5 in that color, but we have a 740i Sport in the family that is that color and I love it. Is that Venetian Red?

Anyways, if I hit the lottery today, this car would be in my driveway tomorrow.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...5&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=852

And, there's this one that is already in Florida, but the interior looks pretty rough. If it's not far from you, it might be worth a look.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...5&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=619

Here's another one... right in Miami and Cheap. Probably a lot of deferred maintenance, but it's only got 100K miles on it, so hopefully not too bad. If you aren't interested in it, I'd love if you could check it out for me. I'd love an E34 M5 beater! Wouldn't feel guilty taking it to the track!

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...5&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=608

Also check Roundel (the magazine of the BMWCCA)... a lot of the really nice club member cars wind up listed there and never hit these kinds of sites.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Steve,

Sent you a PM - I am considering putting mine on the market - 91 M5 121K miles 9/10 Ext 9/10 Interior

I can get you pics

Located in So Cal

my contact info is in a PM i sent you

-Kartik

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think that Greg Schultz has a US (91? black?) E34M5 for sale. He recently federalized 2 great E34s: a Alpina B10biturbo and the very first E34M5T. The Alpina was sold about a year ago at a profit and the US car has to make room for the touring gem. Obviously this guy knows a thing or two about E34M5s, so don't get too caught up looking for a 93. That said, I think the other Greg in N. CA also has his car up for sale, which IIRC is black 93. Condition must be the primary consideration because these cars are expensive to maintain (good condition cars were usually well taken care of) and have a slim chance of appreciating soon (meaning that the top condition cars will enjoy the most appreciation). Mileage also matters for value, but no one ever asks the mileage of a 275GTB. Those cars on Autotrader look tired, and $18k for a red 91 w 120k miles is way overpriced. Except the $37k Orinocco touring, which is exceptionally rare and must have been an individual color. Fully optioned, this car probably cost over $100k new. Other than that, the prices all look high. tired US cars are between $5k and $10k, average quality for $10k to $15k at 100-130k miles, top condition US cars are $15-$25k depending on mileage and condition. Euros are $20-35k. If you can spend more than $15k, it's worth it to get a car with a solid motor that shouldn't need to be rebuilt for at least 50k miles. rebuilds are $10-20k depending on who does it and what else gets replaced at the same time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To: e34M52b - I've looked in to all three of those cars. The first has a more miles than I'd like, and I'd prefer a '93 if buying a US spec. The second seller never responded to emails and phone calls. The third is a strange one... for export only. Complicated mess as I recall.
To: lagunasecaM5 - Greg's 91 is white, has a new motor but has 178K on the body. Probably a nice car, but again a 91 and too high miles for me. He also had a 1995 Euro, probably sold by now, but too high in price for me. He sold the BiTurbo to a guy in WI for the 1995 and cash, then was selling the 95. I also know of the first e34 T he purchased from Saliya, and is now selling. I guess I'd really like to find a car closer to home, unless absolutely a good buy in great condition. I agree, makes sense to spend a bit more money on a good, relatively low mileage car. I'm in no hurry...

Thanks to you both, and the rest of you that have provided such great info. I'm confident I'll find an e34 that meets my liking one day.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To: LagunasecaM5:
Almost forgot... concerning the 1995 Orinoco Touring... I missed that car when sold by a Yahoo group member for $20K! It ended up in Cinci at Car Locators, which is where I looked at my first e34 M5, a black on dove gray 1991. I also think it's way, way overpriced. That would have been a good buy... just missed it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I wouldn't sweat the milage as much as the overall condition, maintenance, and other things. I've seen 150K mile cars that looked like 40K mile cars, and vice versa.

If the top end has been rebuilt and it's been properly maintained and babied, that good enough for me.

·
10,458 Posts
To: LagunasecaM5:
Almost forgot... concerning the 1995 Orinoco Touring... I missed that car when sold by a Yahoo group member for $20K! It ended up in Cinci at Car Locators, which is where I looked at my first e34 M5, a black on dove gray 1991. I also think it's way, way overpriced. That would have been a good buy... just missed it.
from what i've heard, it needed >$10k in maintanance and repairs to get it to the condition it's currently in.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts