BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just can't understand how BMW can get away without fitting front foglights to the new M5. For many years all new cars in the UK have been required to have them fitted.

And if they can fit them to the 535d sport, then why not the M5 (I know "brake ducts" but surely there must be a way)?!

Again, here's the 535d sport front end:

·
Registered
881 Posts
If the law in the UK states that all new vehicles are mandated to have front and rear fog lights, then BMW will have to include them with the M5, otherwise the car will not receive type approval, and won't be able to be sold there.

·
Registered
77 Posts
There is no rule in the UK that cars have to have foglights!? Only rear fogs are required.

Most high spec models are fitted with them though, and it's a wonder that they aren't on the M5.

Russ

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
if they aren't required... i am just fine with none. I don't think they are that helpful. The only time I use them is pulling into my street late at night so I can turn the xenons off and not bother any neighbors.

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
I think it is good they are not there. Less poseurs around ;)

Seriosly, it is for one of the best reasons: function, technology, performance... They are gone because of the cooling requirements.

Also, Im quite unsure of the real necessety of fogs.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Indeed it is only compulsory to have rear fog lights in the UK. Personally it doesn't bother me that much. It's only usually boy racers that use front fog lights.

Perhaps the front fog lights are built into the main head lights. Like on the Mercedes Benz S65.

Discuss...

·
Registered
383 Posts
The volume of air required to feed the engine means the additional vent area is required.

I also can't remember the last time the fog was so bad I needed to use front fogs. With the modern headlights being so good I can't see much difference with them on. Maybe the closer catseyes but thats about all.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
I just can't understand how BMW can get away without fitting front foglights to the new M5. For many years all new cars in the UK have been required to have them fitted.

And if they can fit them to the 535d sport, then why not the M5 (I know "brake ducts" but surely there must be a way)?!

I drove many cars in my life. However i've never needed to swich the foglights on, neither in heavy fog conditions (and where I live there's plenty of it) simply because there was no improvement in visibility. Especially in newer cars, being the nornal lights that good. But if you want them on the M5 (the foglights) for aesthetical reasons then you should consider buying another car! An Audi for example. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
704 Posts
I just recently took the fog lights off the E46 because I got tire of replacing them due to rock chips. They really serve very little purpose. If the BMW engineers tell me they needed more air for the engine or brakes, it seems like a good tradeoff to me because I NEED those to work ;)

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Actually in fog (no surprise) using the foglights give a better vision since it is lower places and it is not as foggy on that height compared to low beam light height (that rymes :) )

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
I don't have a problem with the lack of fogs, rarely use them on my E39 for the right reason anyway. The front of the E60 M5 looks nice and clean and if the removal of the fogs add the necessary cooling, then that functionality we can all use.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I cant believe how most of you are in favour of "NO FOGS!". I still think its the dumbest thing for a car not to have fogs! THey certainly do make the car look good. The main thing about the fogs is that they allow you to show of your angel eyes (exclusive to BMW remember?).

·
Registered
704 Posts
BMW Power said:
I cant believe how most of you are in favour of "NO FOGS!". I still think its the dumbest thing for a car not to have fogs! THey certainly do make the car look good. The main thing about the fogs is that they allow you to show of your angel eyes (exclusive to BMW remember?).
M cars are not about the "look" they are about "motorsport". So priority goes to engine and brakes over style, as it should :1:

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
On this one you are incorrect. BMW changed M's name from "Motorsport" to "BMW M" a few years ago. They are absolutely about look, in addition to the mechanical side. Thats why you have the distinctive M look body panels, quad exhaust, side gills. This is a ///Marketing strategy that those who say M stands for marketing point to. They are partly correct. There is a lot of marketing behind M these days. But, that does not mean the cars are not terrific drivers. Just don't think the cars are not about the look.

Part of the internal reasoning behind SMG is they want to sell more cars and the pool of people who know how to drive a stick shift is dwindling. I know you want to believe its only about absolute performance, and thats what they will say, but the reality is more complex. Its true performance matters to them, but the marketing concerns matter too.

I still hold the cars in very high regard because they are still "the best" IMHO :flag:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Ashok Arora said:

I share the same view. In heavy fog I like to turn off the xenons and drive with only the fog lights to reduce the glare.

Clearly BMW has not done enough R&D not finding room for both fogs and cooling ducts, too bad.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
While M certainly makes stylistic concessions and they want an edgey look as well as feel, the lack of foglights is testimony to the precedence given to performance function.

The economics of the M5 with its low volume pretty much dictate a single transmission. The combination of SMG advances, a high-revving engine, and a dwindling market for a pure manual shifted the selection from the manual to the SMG for the E60.

BMW's market research will need to be proven wrong before they are forced to expend the resources and money to offer another transmission.

Tom

1 - 20 of 42 Posts