BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

:1zhelp:

This is my first post as I am imminently about to buy an E39 M5. Have now driven 3 and have selected one from a BMW indy which is very tidy. 2001/Y with 70k, LeMans (?) Blue with Black/Grey leather. All the toys included too as far as I can see. Not the cheapest about but by far the best I have driven.

However, I have noticed on all 3 cars I have test driven that the shift is quite stiff - one had a notchy clutch so I walked away as I suspected it was on its way out. I have read the various threads here and see Lscman is a bit of a guru on transmissions. My question to anyone who can help is how worried should I be about it being very stiff to engage into 1st? - car has had new clutch in last 5,000 miles and admitedly was stood on forecourt for about a week I suspect before I drove it - but I did have to go into 3rd and fiddle about a bit before it would go into 1st and was fine whilst driving............

What (in UK £) would be the worst case scenario cost for full replacement if it goes pop. I am of course expecting some hefty maintenance costs but would like to know what I am getting myself in for on a worst case basis.

BMW indy says he will put his own 6 month / 10k mile warranty on it and will service it prior to sale as 2 green lights showing. Should I insist on a transmission oil fluid change whilst he is servicing - if so what is the best stuff available in the UK? I will also ask him to specifically state that if transmission fails in the 6 month / 10k period that he will change box at his cost. What do you think?

Lastly, I would quite like to obtain a cpy of the history of the car that BMW UK have on record - i.e. what options it had when new, who supplied, who and where has it been serviced. Any tips on who to contact here and is it free? My local dealership is Wood in Bournemouth - anyone have a good contact here?

Lookin' forward to M5 ownership - I have tested the competition for a similar price and above (i.e. £15k - £20k, Vauxhall Monaro, Audi RS6, Audi S8) and have to say the M5 is way ahead in terms of driving experience:M5launch:. Just hope I am buying the right one :confused:.

Cheers,

Alrighter

·
Registered
193 Posts
When my tranny is cold, shifting into 1st or 2nd is sometimes impossible! Even when its warm, the 1st to 2nd shifts aren't nearly as smooth as 3 to 4, 4 to 5 and 5 to 6. Its been this way with almost every manual vehicle I've owned.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Lastly, I would quite like to obtain a cpy of the history of the car that BMW UK have on record - i.e. what options it had when new, who supplied, who and where has it been serviced. Any tips on who to contact here and is it free? My local dealership is Wood in Bournemouth - anyone have a good contact here?
Drop an e-mail to <!-- e -->[email protected] enclose your VIN - last 7 digits and ask them for the full spec as it left the factory. They will also provide all details of when the car went in to the dealer network to have work done on it, although you'll have to ask dealer what work was done.

My car's options came back with a couple of anomolies though as I don't have the ski hatch or split rear folding seat and although the car tells me of tyre defects I don't have the reset button.

Model E39 M5 Saloon S62 engine 5.0l
Colour 381 Le Mans Blue Metallic
Upholstery O6LB Le Mans Blue Full Nappa Point Leather

Standard Equipment
Dynamic Stability Control
Servotronic Steering
Multi-function control
Tyre Pressure Control ------ is this a hidden /automatic feature as I've not got the reset button I've seen on other cars
(Is it not normally to the left of the steering wheel?)
Alarm system (Thatcham approved)
Floor mats. velour
First Aid Kit & Triangle
Exterior mirrors - folding mirrors
Electric Front Seats + Driver memory
Through-loading ski ------ Not on my car

Front Sliding Arm Rest
Lumbar support. driver
Seat heating. front
Headlamp Washer System
Park Distance Control
Foglights. front
Xenon headlights
Automatic Air Conditioning
On Board Computer
CD changer
M Steering Wheel
Headlining. Anthracite
White Indicator Lens

Ordered options
Option , ,358 Climate Comfort windscreen
Option , ,403 Electric Glass Sunroof
Option , ,415 Sunblind - rear windscreen. electric
Option , ,465 Split-folding rear seats ---- Again not on my car

Option , ,620 Voice Control
Option , ,677 Hi-Fi Sys Prof DSP
Option , ,761 Sun protection glass
Package , ,Z41 Communications Pack - Navigation professional and Motorola V50 Phone Preparation (Does TV fall under this option ?)

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
i would change the oil in the transmission that will make the 1 2 shift much eaiser when cold

·
Registered
126 Posts
Royal Purple transmission fluid really helped my cold shifting. It gets very cold here and I didn't have trouble all winter getting the car into 1st or 2nd gear. 30 minute DIY.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Drop an e-mail to <!-- e -->[email protected] enclose your VIN - last 7 digits and ask them for the full spec as it left the factory. They will also provide all details of when the car went in to the dealer network to have work done on it, although you'll have to ask dealer what work was done.

My car's options came back with a couple of anomolies though as I don't have the ski hatch or split rear folding seat and although the car tells me of tyre defects I don't have the reset button.

Model E39 M5 Saloon S62 engine 5.0l
Colour 381 Le Mans Blue Metallic
Upholstery O6LB Le Mans Blue Full Nappa Point Leather

Standard Equipment
Dynamic Stability Control
Servotronic Steering
Multi-function control
Tyre Pressure Control ------ is this a hidden /automatic feature as I've not got the reset button I've seen on other cars
(Is it not normally to the left of the steering wheel?)
Alarm system (Thatcham approved)
Floor mats. velour
First Aid Kit & Triangle
Exterior mirrors - folding mirrors
Electric Front Seats + Driver memory
Through-loading ski ------ Not on my car

Front Sliding Arm Rest
Lumbar support. driver
Seat heating. front
Headlamp Washer System
Park Distance Control
Foglights. front
Xenon headlights
Automatic Air Conditioning
On Board Computer
CD changer
M Steering Wheel
Headlining. Anthracite
White Indicator Lens

Ordered options
Option , ,358 Climate Comfort windscreen
Option , ,403 Electric Glass Sunroof
Option , ,415 Sunblind - rear windscreen. electric
Option , ,465 Split-folding rear seats ---- Again not on my car

Option , ,620 Voice Control
Option , ,677 Hi-Fi Sys Prof DSP
Option , ,761 Sun protection glass
Package , ,Z41 Communications Pack - Navigation professional and Motorola V50 Phone Preparation (Does TV fall under this option ?)
Can we use this to track the US models as well?

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
+1 I used Synchromax and went from having no way to shift 1->2 to having nice smooth shifts.

I suspect new BMW fluids might have had the same effect, but since I used RP I can't verify whether it is the RP or the new fluid that made the difference...

d-

·
Registered
135 Posts
I recently changed oil, transmission, diff and power steering fluids. I did notice an overall smoother shift but still have a very stiff first. Wish I had a few more data points to know whether it is just the way with this transmission or if something can be done to improve it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers everyone for your advice. Will go see the dealer tomorrow to try and thrash out a deal.

Will be sure to post some pics and details if it all works out......

·
Registered
129 Posts
You might need a new master/clutch slave cylinder. When those start to go it becomes tougher to shift. But the M5 transmission will not be as smooth as compared to a japanese car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
M5 gearbox

Hi. Just read your gearbox post. Be EXCEPTIONALLY careful about buying an M5 with a sticky gearbox. The dealer will tell you it's the clutch, and probably offer some kind of Mickey Mouse warranty to cover it. "Take it now and we'll do it under warranty". At your peril. The problem is the Getrag box itself. It has a triple synchro on 1st gear, and this is the problem, requiring a box rebuild, (no Indy will touch it), or a new box from BMW, costing several limbs. I now have a 99 E39, with a lovely gearbox, although you have to let it warm up, so they are out there. If you can't get the car into 1st, try 2nd, at standstill. Still sticky? Stop the engine, put the car in 1st, depress the clutch and start the engine. The car should now pull away fine. Stop, try to engage 1st. Still sticky? Walk away. PM or email me for further. Good luck?

·
Registered
8 Posts
M5 Gearbox

Yeah, either 2nd or 3rd, same difference. It just slows the layshaft which makes the 1st gear synchro's job easier!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
M5 gearbox

Well, no actually. Double de-clutching was a technique used a good while ago with "crash" gearboxes, in other words, boxes with no synchromesh. This is NOT the problem with the M5 Getrag gearbox.

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
Well, no actually. Double de-clutching was a technique used a good while ago with "crash" gearboxes, in other words, boxes with no synchromesh. This is NOT the problem with the M5 Getrag gearbox.
I didn't say it was "the problem", I said it would help him get the car into gear :)

Doug

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It did actually go into 1st from cold start with a little force......although I am sure this is not a good thing to have to do? Am seeing car again tomorrow and will have a good try from cold then and will tell him I've done a bit of research now :)

Clutch was replaced in last 5,000 miles so hopefully not an issue here with clutch, hopefully just the box.

The key thing for me is to get it covered under a warranty for 6 months - after that I am happy to take risk once I know the car better. As I said, he will service before sale and I will insist on a top quality transmission fluid change - trouble is here I will not know if this has a positive effect until I am commiited to buying the car.

Would you think that if the dealer states on the car sale invoice that:

'Full parts and labour warranty for 6 months and specifically a full replacement gearbox if transmission fails'

Or can anyone else come up with wording more appropriate that is a bit more 'technical'. I think I am also going to air my concerns about the box via e-mail so I have a written and traceable record of my correspondance prior to purchase.

Any other ideas on how to best cover myself here?

Thanks once again for this invaluable advice which hopefully may save me a few £££'s

·
Registered
8 Posts
M5 gearbox

OK, let's cut to the chase, as we say. This car was £50,000 plus in the UK when it was new. It should not be reluctant to go into first gear. If it is, the problem is not the clutch, it is the inability of the synchro hubs on the first gear to do their job and allow a smooth gear selection. My first M5 was a 2001 with 30k miles, bought from a BMW main dealer, at full retail price with a total parts and labour warranty. Even so, when it transpired that the gearbox became very sticky going into first gear, it took a monumental amount of persuasion/threats/ cajoling to get them to replace the gearbox under warranty. The new gearbox was only a little better. It costs somewhere around £3000 for a box, so unless you get a pukka Philadelphia lawyer to draw up a watertight warranty, I would be very wary. Your opinion of "sticky" will be their get-out clause, believe me! In an older, out of warranty car, you can play around with trans fluids,ATF and the like, which could make a difference. Personally, I would keep looking, but if you have set your heart on this beast, nail your dealer for a cast-iron guarantee he will replace the box if you are not happy. End of.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts