BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kind of lame, but I thought I'd post this little tip. In shopping for M5's over the last couple months, I was always bothered by the fact that the small "tray" under the cupholders was scratched up in most of the cars I saw. Well, as soon as I got my own M5 and put my cell phone down on that tray I understood why - my phone slid around every time I turned or hit a bump. So I went out a bought a black Sticky Pad (made by Handstands - the regular version not the Jelly version), cut it to fit exactly within the tray and voila - my phone, sunglasses or whatever else I put in the tray sticks to it like glue. No sliding, no rattling, no scratches (and no residue).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
616 Posts
Well - my tray doesn't have scratches and my phone doesn't slip because it has two rubber grommets on the back... :hihi: [nanana na na na]




On a more serious note, these little touches make the interior more useful and sometimes elegant.

I have just installed the metal (BMW Version) cupholder in the roll flap section of the armrest... and can see that being modified and used for iPod stand or something... only because I don't drink and drive.

Whats the next mod?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,078 Posts
Not to change the subject but the black tray under the front cup holders on my car has the original factory decal "WARNING passengers can be injured by airbag...blah...blah...blah" now I was going to try to peel it off, because it kind of catches my eye while driving and is a bit of a distraction. While talking to a friend (fellow M5/car fanatic) he told me to not even think about removing that decal, he said it adds to the authenticity and in the future it will add to the resale??? I really don't see his point of view, does anyone have any opinions or comments???:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,393 Posts
Beamer_usa said:
does anyone have any opinions or comments???:confused:
Yeah, that's why I drive around with the sticker still on the windows and plastic wrap on the seats....

:)

A
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately my Treo 600 must have teflon on the back because it generally slides around like it's on ice. Then again, it does make it slip in and out of my pockets much easier.

Whizzkid11 said:
Well - my tray doesn't have scratches and my phone doesn't slip because it has two rubber grommets on the back... :hihi: [nanana na na na]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,023 Posts
Beamer_usa said:
Not to change the subject but the black tray under the front cup holders on my car has the original factory decal "WARNING passengers can be injured by airbag...blah...blah...blah" now I was going to try to peel it off, because it kind of catches my eye while driving and is a bit of a distraction. While talking to a friend (fellow M5/car fanatic) he told me to not even think about removing that decal, he said it adds to the authenticity and in the future it will add to the resale??? I really don't see his point of view, does anyone have any opinions or comments???:confused:
Embarassingly and without much reason, I still have that "WARNING.." sticker AND the "1200 Mile Service Required" one......plus I keep a few tubes of lip gloss in that tray too....probably something very few of you keep there :haha2:

Anita
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
Has anyone removed the warnings from the sun visors? I was going to try peeling them off but they look like they are integrated into the fabric (vinyl/leather?)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,564 Posts
Jaeger said:
Has anyone removed the warnings from the sun visors? I was going to try peeling them off but they look like they are integrated into the fabric (vinyl/leather?)
Search the board for that, I remember someone doing that and posting a how to thread a while ago. Search back a few years and you'll come up with something.
:cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,023 Posts
BmwNut said:
Search the board for that, I remember someone doing that and posting a how to thread a while ago. Search back a few years and you'll come up with something.
:cheers:
I think someone just mentioned it somewhere in Atomic80's current photo thread, too.

Anita
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,078 Posts
ard said:
Yeah, that's why I drive around with the sticker still on the windows and plastic wrap on the seats....

:)

A
Kind of reminds me of visiting my grandparents, as a kid, with the plastic slip covers on the sofas:hihi:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,071 Posts
Jaeger said:
I found it -- acetone applied with a Q-tip. Sounds problematic if it doesn't work, in that it will look horrible.
I removed mine with a bunch of patience. Use goo-gone (not goof off) and a toothpick. Start at the corners. Be careful not to rub the leather too much. Don't know if I would use straight acetone, but I didn't try it. You can rub the area where the sticker is still applied. Takes 30 minutes or more each side. Would I do it again? Probably not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,078 Posts
Digi said:
I removed mine with a bunch of patience. Use goo-gone (not goof off) and a toothpick. Start at the corners. Be careful not to rub the leather too much. Don't know if I would use straight acetone, but I didn't try it. You can rub the area where the sticker is still applied. Takes 30 minutes or more each side. Would I do it again? Probably not.
Seems like a hassel, why not just leave good enough alone:confused: Just my 2 cents:)
 

·
M5 Extraordinare!
Joined
·
8,318 Posts
Heh heh heh....I thought I was the only one who was CRAZY enough to leave all those decals in place! Looks like others have followed suit too! I feel slightly better now!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,078 Posts
atomic80 said:
Heh heh heh....I thought I was the only one who was CRAZY enough to leave all those decals in place! Looks like others have followed suit too! I feel slightly better now!
Just my opinion but I think those "crazy" decals just add the authenticity and originality of the car;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Whizzkid11 said:
Well - my tray doesn't have scratches and my phone doesn't slip because it has two rubber grommets on the back... :hihi: [nanana na na na]




On a more serious note, these little touches make the interior more useful and sometimes elegant.

I have just installed the metal (BMW Version) cupholder in the roll flap section of the armrest... and can see that being modified and used for iPod stand or something... only because I don't drink and drive.

Whats the next mod?

i have that phone too but after about 9 months now it's the phone that is scratched up and i dont want to buy a new one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
616 Posts
bluestreak said:
i have that phone too but after about 9 months now it's the phone that is scratched up and i dont want to buy a new one.
I put protective iPAQ screen cover on it - so all I do is replace it it... I have had it for 18 months now, and it has been dropped a few times as well - but still going strong.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top