BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
It's been for sale for 4-5 months at AGA. It was his car to start with, but Martin has owned it for awhile. Still sitting on the showroom floor everytime I stop by. Sweet ride if you have the $$.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Really? For 54k i rather buy a e39 m5 for 25k in the 40-50k range and spend the rest of the money upgrading it better then that. Unless that has the Dinan supercharger? still not worth it imo

·
Registered
252 Posts
Really? For 54k i rather buy a e39 m5 for 25k in the 40-50k range and spend the rest of the money upgrading it better then that. Unless that has the Dinan supercharger? still not worth it imo
It's an S3 with 44,xxx on it. :goldcup:

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Pretty much on the high side for 54k when you can get 00 or 01 stock with same range mileage run ESS and still be under 54K:dunno:.. the x-factor is the pedigree of the car though.. Dinan's personal car. Is that worth the extra $$ i dunno.. Car prob has good history (meticulous service) or bad: thrashed around like Dinan HQ like a mofo :D..

An S3 is still the benchmark though..

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
No offense but Steve Dinan is just a tuner. The word Pedigree might be more fitting if it was a car owned by Sterling Moss or Phil Hill.

Car having Steve Dinan's name on the title at one time doesn't have much value in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
/shrug...ESS SC's are 10k Dinans are 24k? Who makes power? lol...im just being picky...I just cant justify paying that much for a M5...

you're forgetting that the S3 also has:

- $6.5k brakes
- $5k wheels
- $8k headers
- $5.3k throttle bodies + velocity stacks
- $2.7k diff
- $5k in suspension work
- $3k clutch+flywheeel

I'm pretty sure the S3 makes somewhere around 620hp where the ESS kits are closer to 500.

·
Registered
252 Posts

- $6.5k brakes
- $5k wheels
- $8k headers
- $2.7k diff
- $5k in suspension work
- $3k clutch+flywheeel

I'm pretty sure the S3 makes somewhere around 620hp where the ESS kits are closer to 500.
Exactly. An S2 converted into an S3. It doesn't get much better than an S3.

·
Registered
722 Posts

- $6.5k brakes
- $5k wheels
- $8k headers
- $2.7k diff
- $5k in suspension work
- $3k clutch+flywheeel

What i was saying is everything is just overpriced, you can get better performance out of other products out for 50% of those values you posted. So to me personally, if i had 55k to spend, i would not buy the car, but thats just my opinion and clearly yours is different.

Also it being Steve Dinans personal car, it prolly has been trashed beyond belief, tho i have faith it was also maintained in tip top shape.

If you bought an m5 say for 20k, with the remaining 35k at your disposal, do you think you can get it to 620hp?

·
1,938 Posts
That's an awful lot of dosh for a ten year old car, regardless of the uphrades. Unless you were going to keep it forever I'd say it would be a poor investment.

Plus it's got a wooden interior and the wheel is on the wrong side ;)

It's nice, for sure, and probably drives very well. But for that money I reckon any of us could get something at least as good to drive...

YG

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's an awful lot of dosh for a ten year old car, regardless of the uphrades. Unless you were going to keep it forever I'd say it would be a poor investment.

Plus it's got a wooden interior and the wheel is on the wrong side ;)

It's nice, for sure, and probably drives very well. But for that money I reckon any of us could get something at least as good to drive...

YG
bro for that kind of money i would be knocking on that new 1 Series M Coupe, should be extremly fun to drive when it comes out

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
What i was saying is everything is just overpriced, you can get better performance out of other products out for 50% of those values you posted. So to me personally, if i had 55k to spend, i would not buy the car, but thats just my opinion and clearly yours is different.

Also it being Steve Dinans personal car, it prolly has been trashed beyond belief, tho i have faith it was also maintained in tip top shape.

If you bought an m5 say for 20k, with the remaining 35k at your disposal, do you think you can get it to 620hp?

I think it's safe to say that very few have made 620hp levels, if any; and, there has been alot of $$$ invested in alot of different cars.

It takes a lot of R&D and intelligence (read: up-front capital) to successfully S/C an S62 >5 years before anyone else does so reliably. Not only that, but wasn't Dinan partnered with BMW at that point meaning your car retains the factory warranty and was CARB certified?

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
I think it's safe to say that very few have made 620hp levels, if any; and, there has been alot of $$$ invested in alot of different cars.

It takes a lot of R&D and intelligence (read: up-front capital) to successfully S/C an S62 >5 years before anyone else does so reliably. Not only that, but wasn't Dinan partnered with BMW at that point meaning your car retains the factory warranty and was CARB certified?
Matt:

Just to be clear, the ESS kits have made over 500 hp at the wheels with the 92mm SCer pulley, whereas Dinan's 620 hp is at the crank. When you use a 15% drivetrain loss, the Dinan still winds up being more powerful, but when one ticks up the boost of the ESS kit by moving to the 90 or 88 mm SCer pulley, one winds up with substantially the same power. This is because the stock ESS kits run 5.5 to 6 psi, and the Dinan kit runs more like 7-8 psi. Thus, one has to decrease the size of the ESS SCer pulley to increase the boost and be a direct apples to apples comparison with the Dinan kit.

This is by NO MEANS a criticism of the Dinan kit; it is a very well engineered kit. It's principal downside to me was that Dinan has to install it and will not sell it separately. I probably would have bought it if they would have sold it to me. I just didn't want to pay Dinan 10-20k to install it and miss all that fun!

--Peter

·
Registered
216 Posts

- $6.5k brakes
- $5k wheels
- $8k headers
- $2.7k diff
- $5k in suspension work
- $3k clutch+flywheeel

Wait, those wheels are worth 5k? :flag::)

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
In perfect condition, yes. A boardmember recently bought one brand new for $1200. Used sets in reasonably good condition, but not perfect, have sold for $2500-3000, but the availability of even the less than perfect sets is so limited that the price recently has gone up and probably will continue to do so over time.

--Peter

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Cost Differential S3 v ESS

- $6.5k brakes
- $5k wheels
- $8k headers
- $2.7k diff
- $5k in suspension work
- $3k clutch+flywheel

Add:

- Air-to-Air Intercooler
- Chassis reinforcement (included in your $5K susp work?)
- Fuel Pump Pressue Boost (now Boost-a-Pump)

And in the interests of accuracy: Dinan Wheels were not included in the S3 package; mine sure weren't. Also some of the items you have listed as being 'included' were required, a BIG difference. The S3 installation presupposes you start with an S2, where IIRC, the asterisked items were installed or 'required' previously:

- Exhaust Headers*
- Free Flow Exhaust*
- High Flow Throttle Bodies*
- Swaybars*
- Big Brake Kit*
- R Compound tires.

Refer to Dinan Cars - Supercharger System 'SPECS TAB' under REQUIRED PRODUCTS

The Dinan website has been drastically changed recently. I was searching for the S2 Signature package to see what it consists of and was unable to locate it.!

Disclaimer: I'm doing this from memory which is always dangerous especially at my age. If anyone wants the detailed analysis, I will open my S3 file and pull out my spreadsheets :hihihi:. And believe me when I say I'm not so inclined.

Edit: I found the invoice MWW sent me to install the S3 kit + monoballs and have attached it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I recently checked out Dinans new web site as well. From what I recall the s2 kit was 30k and took 115 hours to install. Anyone know what it cost to take the S2 up to the S3?
:M5rev:

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

I am afraid so when new. I have been trying to get those wheels for over a year now.. IMHO.. they are one of the very best wheels you can get for our cars for number of reasons. I offered to pay just under 2K for a set of 4 over a year ago and the seller just laughed at me.. he sold it for much more..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts