BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any suggestions on what to do to improve the sound quality of the stereo system?

I first thought I was going to replace the Amp, but now am leaning towards adding a seperate Bass speaker, with its own amp. My M coupe has the 10 speaker Harmon Kardon system, I replaced the head unit to a Pioneer Cd7000 (7" screen TV/CD), kept the stock HK amp and the stock speakers, but added a 10" Bazooka Bass Tube, Its only 100 watts but fills a small car like the M just fine, and more importantly doesnt overpower the rest of the speakers/amp, plus it comes out easier then a custom box, which is important to me. The sound is absoulutely great, and I did it for not that much. I was thinking that may also be the solution for the M5, except maybe putting in a custom box for it. This is because I think that the Amp is powerful enough and the speakers are satisfactory for the highs and the mid range, it is just when you try to put in the low freq. that you get that monotnous garbley sound spewing out of the speakers.

Any thoughts from anybody? I am not very well versed with the Sound System, so I am sure some of you guys must have done some magic to make this stuff sound better. Was anybody able to get the system sounding clear with a more integrated solution? I am embarrased to turn up the sound in the car when people are in my car cuz it sounds bad? Plus you cant roll down the boulevard blasting that sound

fas

·
Registered
781 Posts
fais2000

i had all of the speakers taken out and disconnected the dsp. i have morrell speakers in the front doors, infinity in the rear deck (for real fill) and an infinity kappa perfect 12 inch subwoofer in the truck mounted behind the rear armrest (had to cut a hole through the steal but it is already punched-left rear door speakers disconnected but replaced tweeters with small CB speakers for use with the integrated startac phone. i have 2 adcom amps mounted where the old nokia (can u believe it!) subwoofers were mounted. also has to add a separate small alpine amp for the phone speakers. used balance cables. all-in about $5k. installer said it was his most complicated job ever. positive--absolutely incredible, clean sound with a nice tight bass; only negative--lost ability to control volume on hands free phone operatin from the steering wheel, but can manually adjust at the amp.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I dont have the appetite to do that kind of work on my M5- but my thoughts are this: the speakers have to be changed, they are likely the worst part of the system, and the head unit must remain because of its integration of gps, phone, radio. the amp might be good for different speakers. I posted my settings for the radio and I am pretty happy with these settings.

ME

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
here are the settings:
TONE
Bass: -4 (from middle setting)

Trebble: +1

fader: +2 (it appears that the fader and balance have more steps and +2 on the fader lines up with +1 on trebble)

balance: +1(helps move the sound more to the center of the car but this is still not perfect)

DSP EQ
80: -8
200: -6
500: 0
1K: 0
2K: 0
5k: +2
12k: +3

room: 0
echo: 0

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,096 Posts
Originally posted by fais2000:
Does anybody have any suggestions on what to do to improve the sound quality of the stereo system?

I first thought I was going to replace the Amp, but now am leaning towards adding a seperate Bass speaker, with its own amp. My M coupe has the 10 speaker Harmon Kardon system, I replaced the head unit to a Pioneer Cd7000 (7" screen TV/CD), kept the stock HK amp and the stock speakers, but added a 10" Bazooka Bass Tube, Its only 100 watts but fills a small car like the M just fine, and more importantly doesnt overpower the rest of the speakers/amp, plus it comes out easier then a custom box, which is important to me. The sound is absoulutely great, and I did it for not that much. I was thinking that may also be the solution for the M5, except maybe putting in a custom box for it. This is because I think that the Amp is powerful enough and the speakers are satisfactory for the highs and the mid range, it is just when you try to put in the low freq. that you get that monotnous garbley sound spewing out of the speakers.

Any thoughts from anybody? I am not very well versed with the Sound System, so I am sure some of you guys must have done some magic to make this stuff sound better. Was anybody able to get the system sounding clear with a more integrated solution? I am embarrased to turn up the sound in the car when people are in my car cuz it sounds bad? Plus you cant roll down the boulevard blasting that sound

fas
We just have to face that the sound system sucks big time! Replace all of it or turn it off and enjoy the sound of the car!

/Johan

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have had my M5 since April. It seems to me that the biggest problem with the sound is that the bass is "thumpy" and has only one over emphasized frequency. This sound is caused by a band pass box subwoofer design. I tried the equlizer settings posted on this board but the bass was still thumpy. I solved the problem by disconnecting the subwoofer. The subwoofer is attached th the top of the trunk just forward of the decklid. There is a connector on the left side which has eight wires. Just pull the wires. My thumpy bass problem wnet away. There is now also less bass from the rear but the sound is much less objectionable. The subwoofer can also be removed entirely by removing four 7mm hex head bolts. The subwoofer box weighs 18.5 pounds which also helps the overall weight of the car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts